• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:04:42 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Argon supply needed

Started by alealex, November 29, 2013, 04:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alealex

Looking for cylinder of argon or refill as cheap as possible.
Bad day brewing is better than good day working.

Ciderhead

alealex

Quote from: CH on November 29, 2013, 04:49:09 PM
You can't put that in beeer ??? :) :)
You can, but you won't drink it  :P

Ciderhead

Yeah just checked out you can use it as a food preservative and they use it to kill chickens!!

alealex

Got me, I'll be killing chickens with it. You mean they use it in gas chambers or use it kill'em with the pressure somehow?  :-\ :)
In wine making, argon is used to top-off barrels to avoid the aerial oxidation of ethanol to acetic acid during the aging process.
And made by distillation, interesting.

Ciderhead

Murderer!  ??? ??? ;D

From WIKI
Argon is an asphyxiant in the poultry industry, either for mass culling following disease outbreaks, or as a means of slaughter more humane than the electric bath. Argon's relatively high density causes it to remain close to the ground during gassing. Its non-reactive nature makes it suitable in a food product, and since it replaces oxygen within the dead bird, argon also enhances shelf life.

Well I didn't know that

alealex

;D ;D ;D  humanely he says

STOP MAKING JOKES LADS I NEED ARGON

Ciderhead

What a waste of gas I just wring their necks and if done properly its quick and cheap, don't ask me to do 5000 tho ???

Ciderhead

Quote from: iTube on November 29, 2013, 05:56:01 PM
Will_D has some. I'm sure he'll be along any minute!

Nope he's in the club till 7!

Alex, how much do you need? any welding gas supplier will have it

Ciderhead

Quote from: alealex on November 29, 2013, 05:54:40 PM
STOP MAKING JOKES LADS I NEED ARGON

You are in the wrong place for that, humour us even tho none of us are funny, it will be less painful for everyone.

alealex

I was thinking there might be some welders among us that would point me at some cheaper sources, thanks a ton for help.
I've found argon at hobbyweld.co.uk at similar prices, but still find it pricey. It's similar as with nitro from boc - they don't want to deal with the public but if they eventually do - they will empty your pockets  :)
Hope fully Will will come to the rescue  :P

DEMPSEY

Quote from: CH on November 29, 2013, 05:51:22 PM
Murderer!  ??? ??? ;D

From WIKI
Argon is an asphyxiant in the poultry industry, either for mass culling following disease outbreaks, or as a means of slaughter more humane than the electric bath. Argon's relatively high density causes it to remain close to the ground during gassing. Its non-reactive nature makes it suitable in a food product, and since it replaces oxygen within the dead bird, argon also enhances shelf life.

Well I didn't know that
Ditto
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Will_D

My welding Argon comes from BOC:

The X size bottle (like a mixed gas bottle - not the huge 5 foot tall jobs) filled to 230 bar ???:

Annual rental of bottle €65-70,  refill (or initial gas fill) €41-70 plus VAT at 14.81%. Prices coorect as from 1/1/14 (minor price hike).

Hobby weld do the similar same size bottles but are filled to less than half the pressure (110 Bar)

Halfords and the like do a disposable bottle (like our 110 litre oxy GBs) but they are like €20.

If you need to BORROW some argon PM me!

BTW: CO2 is also a heavy asphixiant gas (all gases other than Air/Oxygen are asphixiants) so why use Argon to kill the chickies?

We used to store spacecraft (Metop 2 and 3) in a nitrogen tent in Friedrichhaven!

The warning signs were every where. Within about 10 metres of the tent you had to wear an oxygen monitor!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

Mr Happy has some beer that should finish them off and they would be nicely marinated as well?

Too low? Sorry Mr H just looking for recycling ideas.