• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 07:13:55 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Irish beer Clone Recipes?

Started by admin, November 05, 2012, 04:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

November 05, 2012, 04:48:42 PM Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:03:40 PM by admin
Would be cool if we had a section on the forum for clone recipes of Irish beers. While they'll never be 100% correct I think it'd be a useful resource.

I have recipes for a Galway Hooker clone and Metalman Pale Ale clone that I reckon are fairly accurate, tho the Metalman one less so now that they stopped using Amarillo.

Anyone else interested?

Spud395

Have some information I've picked but I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be sharing it on open forum.
Some told by brewers in 1 to 1 where they was an understanding it would go no further.

I did come across a recipe Cormac posted on Jims well before he went commercial for a red ale that I believe is copper coast  :o
Non modo......sed etiam

Spud395

Ok after rereading it (its a while since I saw it) I guess it is where copper coast started, before the tweaking.
Still a good reference for an Irish red though

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4829

Notice a few familiar handles in this thread  ;)
Non modo......sed etiam

Stitch

Tube any chance of the galway hooker clone? By far my favorite Irish craft beer!!

Thanks

Stitch

Great thankd. Would agree it may not be best to post on boards.

Metattron

Would be interested in the Metalman Pale ale recipe.  Could try it with Kohatu or Ahtanum maybe...
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Spud395

Hops at the minute are magnum for bittering Summit and Cascade late and dry
Non modo......sed etiam

Stitch

Will pick the ingredients up for that brew. Thanks Tube.

Fal

I just tasted metal an at a wedding in Waterford, loved it! Unfortionatly no-where near me sells it, so I'd love to try something similar if possible.
...used to be NewBier

delzep

Any Wrasslers XXXX recipes out there?

Will_D

There are least two books printed about clone brews.

The ones I have are:

Clonebrews by Tess and Mark Szamatulski
&
North American Clone Brews by Scott R. Russel

Would it not be awesome for the NHC to create:

[size=14]"Irish Clone Beers by the NHC"[/size].

The way it would work is to approach the micros for their basic recipes and any info they are prepared to give away. I know some are prepared to share. Others will not.

We then list those recipes as definitives and lock the thread.

We would still brew them up I'm sure. But IMO they are what we have been told and should not be tweaked.

For the others we make up the clone recipe ourselves either from existing recipes published on the NHC and other sites.

Then a few experienced brewers ( a job for the regional groups ) brew them up, taste then, compare notes and then the recipe is tweaked, brewed again etc. and finally  published as a "Official tested, NHC Clone" and the thread locked.

If we get enough recipes (there are after all a huge number of Irish beers currently being produced) then we COULD publish the book to world-wide acclaim.

WHO would be willing to take on the role of editor?:

Initially the editor would structure the Forum:

Sticky: Rules of Forum

Identify the beers to start with, list them as threads.

Only the editor or his appointed contact who knows the owners well would contact the brewers. With recipes received they would be published and locked.

The empty threads would be initially updated by the members who would publish the recipe(s).

Editor would then ask the regional brewing groups to select a beer and brew it, taste and tweak.

Then the recipe would be posted on the thread as the only post and then the thread would be locked.

Over time the forum would evolve into the recipe book.

This idea would give great impetus and focus to the regional brewing groups and a solid pupose to the NHC.

Already I have book 2 in mind: "Cloned Irish Beers of the Past" where we re-create the forgotten great beers from Irelands Past, including how Guiness, Smithwicks, Beamish, Murphys USED to be before the industrials moved in.

What do we think lads?

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Padraic

I like the idea Will, I think that the recipes should be posted as front page articles as well and it would be great to have a book. There is definitely a need for some good books about brewing clone beers!

nigel_c

Anything ever come of this thread? A nice tried and tested clone recipe section would be class. Could make nice front page write up's as well.

Will_D

Quote from: Tube on December 10, 2012, 03:38:45 PM
Would you believe my wife suggested a very similar thing.
It was not me ye saw jumping from the upstairs window when you arrived home unexpectedly one afternoon 8)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

brenmurph

I found the harp recipe from 1962, happened by a page anyway with the main recipe; the info there may be of interest, looking at the recipe it would have made a lovely beer, styrian hops and  loadsa malt...

Id love to clone a Phoenix ale ( from waterford I tink) as I remenber it in bottle in tramore when I was barely legal ( tthats 35ish years ago) it stuck in my head as a creamy sweetish malty ale)

Also Macardles I remember  when I used to travel to the north for all the cheap gear years ago we used to stop at the border in a pub and had a few on the way up there, was a lovely ale as I remember it.

Would be a great topic for a meet up if we all bring whatever we know about old Irish beers before Supposedly guinness bought them all and closed then down by making bad batches so everyone stopped drinking them!

Im very interested