• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:37:42 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Irish beer Clone Recipes?

Started by admin, November 05, 2012, 04:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kieran the Human

About the Copper Coast clone/work in progress, I was in the Dungarvan brewery a few weeks ago snooping around on a tour - Safale 04 and 05 were the only two yeast strains I saw in boxes
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Simon

Ah but your never saw the boxes in the back or the tubs in the fridge ;)

Kieran the Human

This is true - I was too busy sampling the awesome beer to do any real detective work  ;D
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

imark

It's mahon falls I want to clone. Fabulous seasonal.

Eoin

End of the day it appears there are very few viable clones about.

I would not blame breweries for not giving out their recipes, most chefs are the same, you don't hand off your business to someone else, when it's how you earn your living, especially not in such a small market as Ireland. In the US the market is so large they have less worries about handing off their recipes.

Simon

I always thought half the fun of clone brewing was trying to clone the brew not just copy the recipe.  .

most brewery have no problem telling you whats in it ..(hops and grains) but I would never expect the whole schedule from them. Plus like I said it takes the fun out of it in my opinion.

Most of these clone books are just a educational adoption from a vague description from a brewer any way lol

imark

Quote from: Il Tubo on July 12, 2013, 04:22:57 PM
Quote from: imark on July 10, 2013, 08:16:10 PM
It's mahon falls I want to clone. Fabulous seasonal.
What yeast is in Mahon Falls? Take a stab.
I dont have a bottle to hand but I'd be leaning towards a yeast like Notty if had to have a stab at it.

Snuff

Any ideas on the Bo Bristle IPA recipe? The newer release rather than the original IPA.
Primary -
Secondary -
Kegged - Red Dragon, Red Lager, HopWarOne, ThisIsntLager
Bottled -

irish_goat

B&C has it the odd time. Cassidy's, Westmoreland Street has it on permanent afaik. I'm not mad on it but it sells very well anytime we had it in. Not sure what hops are in it but the beer aroma reminds me of Punk. Unfortunately the taste does not.

delzep

Snuff

I tried it back in march at the craft beer ifsc thingy. Was looking throught the craft beer festival website when it got me thinking of it.
Far as I remember it was one of the best I tried in march and I had a fair few pints. Looking forward to it again and was looking for a bit more info on it.
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottled -

Snuff

Yeah it was in the original version but it was relaunched in march with a new recipe.
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottled -

BrewCity

I don't think it's plausible to expect to get a recipe off a brewer who is trying to make a living off that recipe. With the exception of perhaps the Fran. Well, I have (personally) been a little disappointed in how the older established breweries are not terribly friendly to the little man, many forgetting they were once humble homebrewers, too. Was just reading an article about Boston Brewing Co. (Sam Adams) and how they help out other brewers in the states, provide micro finance loans to new upstart craft breweries, and arrange group buys so everyone can get the hops they need -- no one quite that friendly over here, I'm afraid (not yet anyway, we're going to change that, right Spud?)

Besides, figuring out the recipe yourself is the challenge you are presented with to prove your mettle as a competent brewer. Asking to be given the answer is cheating, right? I think a clone brew book is only a good idea if we come up with the clones ourselves, and even then it would probably have to be intentionally slightly off or the breweries would be a bit annoyed.

BrewCity

Quote from: Il Tubo on August 11, 2013, 10:43:55 PM
Quality post, but chances are if you did get the exact recipe it wouldn't taste the same on your home set-up anyway.

I don't agree about the recipes having to be slightly off as you're not going to make any material difference. Like when the recipe of Coke was apparently up for sale... makes no odds as there will only be one drink called Coke.
Well, it probably wouldn't be exactly the same on a homebrew system, but I would think the worry would more be that another brewery might snatch up the recipe. It's not a big worry for well-established brands (the Coke's if you will) but the younger brands who don't have much market penetration outside their locality might not have the confidence to put their recipe out there for anyone in the world to see.