• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:28:08 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Adding hops to Cooper's Euro Lager

Started by Motorbikeman, March 16, 2014, 06:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motorbikeman

Hi.   First post here.   :)

I am on my 3rd kit brew and I am about to start the Cooper's European Lager. 

I would like to make it my own with regards to taste and experiment with tastes.   

I have purchased the Brew Enhanser 2  which is 500g dextrose,250g maltodextrin,& 250g of light DME. 

I like the taste of Pilsner Urquell .   

What could I add to the mix to bring my brew into the same ball park?   

benji

Tapped: Brown Porter, Dortmunder, Rye IPA
Bottled: Barrel RIS, Barrel Red Flanders, Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Barrel triple, NEIPA
Planned: Pilsner, Hazy Pale Ale, something Belgian

Greg2013

Quote from: CH on March 16, 2014, 08:00:16 PM
Or Saaz

How much and at what intervals would you suggest for that pilsner taste ?  ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Motorbikeman

would one simply throw it into the bucket on the primary stage?

LordEoin

Get about 2 liters of water and bring it to a boil.
Add about 20g of whatever hop you chose (i'd go with the saaz) and boil it for 10 minutes.
Strain/seive it into the FV, using it as your hot water for mixing the kit can.

Remember though that this kit comes with a proper lager yeast, so you'll need to ferment it at about 12-14C.
It will take longer to ferment, and don't get scared if your house stinks like rotting eggs for a few days.
If you want to dryhop it, do it after about a week.

Let it ferment out for about two weeks, then move it to secondary and let it sit for another 2 or 3 weeks as cold as your fridge will go to lager it.

Welcome to the incredibly slow world of lager  ;D

Greg2013

I had a reply posted but i deleted it as i think for your first time Lords suggestion is better. ;D You could also if you wanted follow the guidline below for a different way of dry hopping, however i agree with Lord use the Saaz.

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/better-brew-finishing-hop-pellet-teabags-207-c.asp
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Motorbikeman

Thanks.  I have been brewing in the downstairs bathroom ??? but the temperature is around 21.

I guess we could expect the weather to stay around 15 for the next month or so.    I have a  shaded shed.    I might leave it out there to do its stuff. 

I ordered the saaz and   Hallertauer Hersbrucker tea bags.         Few more days to wait for the delivery .

Greg2013

Quote from: wheelspin on March 16, 2014, 09:00:06 PM
Thanks.  I have been brewing in the downstairs bathroom ??? but the temperature is around 21.

I guess we could expect the weather to stay around 15 for the next month or so.    I have a  shaded shed.    I might leave it out there to do its stuff. 

I ordered the saaz and   Hallertauer Hersbrucker tea bags.         Few more days to wait for the delivery .

Wjeelspin small bit of advice, 15 celsius is too high for a lager, you really need it nearer 12 celsius. Whats the coldest place in the house and what temp is it at usually ? Can you find room in the fridge for this brew ?

Motorbikeman

No.  But may just keep an eye open for a second hand fridge for the shed.   I have power out there. 

Greg2013

Quote from: wheelspin on March 16, 2014, 09:40:48 PM
No.  But may just keep an eye open for a second hand fridge for the shed.   I have power out there.

Good idea, you need fermentation temperature control but in the case of lagers you need to force it down a bit further which in an Irish climate often means finding an old working fridge, best of luck. ;D

Motorbikeman

Happydays..   

I have acquired a free fridge . Saved from the dump..  Works fine and cleans up like new.    I cant get my  FV bucket into it for Lager brewing, but it will fit all the 500ml bottles with ease.   And looks awesome as well. 

I think the shed is cool enough for a few week of primary at this time of year. Although today it was 16 degrees at midday ..   

Have a look at this dream machine ..     I can peel the advertising stickers of it and the strip lighting turns off(although the inside light just adds to it glory!).   Now I have to convince the wife that it is very positive to keep it indoors..  ;)

Motorbikeman

So I got the hop teabag.   Got both but went with the saaz. 

Boiled it up for 10 and added the water to the first mix..     

The instructions say to leave it in the FV .   Its in there now, in an cold bath. 

What are your feeling on leaving it in there for a few weeks.   Would it make it over powering?    Should I fish it out?   

Garry

Most people say anything more than a week could give you grassy flavours. Although, at lagering temperatures, I reckon you will probably get away with it for a few weeks.

Motorbikeman

Thanks Garry. You have been very helpful to me so far.  As has everyone on here.  great site! 

:)