• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 05:50:55 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Anyone got Gordon Strong's book?

Started by admin, April 04, 2014, 01:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Page 53 is his recipe for an 11.7% English barley wine. 100% Maris Otter -- all 14.1 kilos of it!. Wyeast 1028. He collects first runnings only.

What's interesting is after he has mashed, and collected first runnings, is he adds crystal and choco malt in on top of the Maris Otter, and refills the mashtun and lets them steep for 30 mins. He collects the 2nd runnings then as a Brown Ale.

His barley wine is now 7 years old according to the book!

Thought I'd share this with you (I've mine already brewed yesterday and didn't see this till just now)

Shanna

Hi Tube

it sounds like this beer would be super clear. How did your item turn out?

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Shanna

Quote from: Tube on April 04, 2014, 01:33:45 PM
Don't really know yet until I see it in a glass, but it's fairly dark. Only 300g of English crystal, but I do get caramelisation from my elements. I wouldn't be able to brew somis ething as pale as Jaipur for example.

I have the same thing with the elements in mine,  they tend to scorch a lot.  I added in 750grams of demerara sugar that is pretty dark along with crystal and amber malt (around 6.5%). The og was about 1.105 so it should be comfortably over 10%.

The more I think of it though I think no matter how clear or light in coloured the beer going into the barrel is that there is going to be a darkening effect from the charred surface from the inside of the barrel.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

mcgrath

any chance you could post the recipe and instructions for both? Maybe a pic of the page would do?
Doing mine next week..

beerfly

14kg  ???
my poor mash tun is already in the corner crying 

nigel_c

That's very similar t the way I brew my Barley Wines. One difference is i split the grain bill and do 2 mashes. end up with a batch of full first funnings and a full second. You do get a lot of caramelization on the big beer.
This way makes it a lot easier to do BIG beers on a regular sized mash ton.

Shane Phelan

I'm definitely going to look into that, I have a big bag of MO so could get away with doing this.
Brew Log

nigel_c

My mash wouldn't take that amount if grain so it was a double brew day for me. I do a big one every year. Thinking about weizenbock and dunkel this year instead of a barley wine. Could also do a RIS and a session stout.

beerfly

was looking through radical brewing earlier and another way of doing it when splitting the grain is drain the wort from the 1st, dont sparge and reheat the wort to strike temp and use that on the second half of the grain.  will take a shot of it later if i remember