• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:09:25 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mini framboise

Started by admin, April 09, 2014, 02:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

I've about 3L of oud bruin that I'm going to turn into framboise. What's the correct amount of raspberries for that quantity?

imark

Eoin

Bollock loads, to use the industry standard terminology.

St. Fursey

1 300g pack of frozen raspberries from Lidl will do the trick

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Eoin

Quote from: Tube on April 09, 2014, 03:34:18 PM
Quote from: St. Fursey on April 09, 2014, 03:32:56 PM
1 300g pack of frozen raspberries from Lidl will do the trick

To 3 litres? Do I need to do anything special to them? Starsan them or just straight in?

Freeze them for a few days, or if bought frozen just whack them in, they won't be completely sanitary, but they'll hopefully carry useful yeasts if anything.

St. Fursey

Lob them in as they are. If you're paranoid about bugs you could simmer them but I wouldn't recommend it as they will turn to mush and will be a bastard to filter out when bottling

Eoin

Quote from: St. Fursey on April 09, 2014, 03:59:55 PM
Lob them in as they are. If you're paranoid about bugs you could simmer them but I wouldn't recommend it as they will turn to mush and will be a bastard to filter out when bottling

Simmering will stew them and change the flavour profile, I'd not do it for that reason alone, you'll lose the subtle aromatics that you want to carry over.

St. Fursey

Quote from: Eoin on April 09, 2014, 04:11:31 PM
Quote from: St. Fursey on April 09, 2014, 03:59:55 PM

Simmering will stew them and change the flavour profile, I'd not do it for that reason alone, you'll lose the subtle aromatics that you want to carry over.
Should have said that you only need to being the up to 72C to pasteurise them - they still turn to mush though

Tom

UV light from your grow room?

Will_D

As they are frozen they will thaw out as a mush anyway.

You want the fruit to break down as it is the only way to release the celll contents.

Think of it like adding whole apples to water. You won't get much cider that way. Same goes for berries they actually have quite a tough little skin. So pasteurise or boil as you will.

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

imark

If you're going to cook them you may aswell throw in a pot of jam.
Just thaw them and add them. It's a framboise you're trying to make after all.

St. Fursey

I have tried both methods - whole frozen and pasturises. For thr first, i dropped the frozen berries into my secondary and added beer. I bottles after the berries had turned white (and my beer had taken on a red hue). The fruit stayed mainly intact so straining was fairly painless. I think the freeze thaw action breaks down the skin so no problem there.
The pasteurisation method results in a pot of mush. I cooled it and added to the secondary. Straining this was a pain - I used a serve for the big stuff, followed by a straining bag.
Both methods yielded great results. For my next beer, I'm going back to frozen, unthawed fruit

Will_D

Quote from: imark on April 10, 2014, 11:12:59 AM
If you're going to cook them you may aswell throw in a pot of jam.
Just thaw them and add them. It's a framboise you're trying to make after all.
Jam has all sorts of additives ???.

I did not say to cook them!

The terminology is "blanching" as used in most "fresh to frozen" home grown fruit/veg instructions.

Just drop the frozen berries into boiling water and immediately drain them. The surface (where the bacteria/wild yeasts MAY live) is sanitised, the bulk of the fruit is still at -18C

Or just do what most country wine makers do: Scald the fruit with boiling sugar syrup!

Or not even bother just ferment the stuff
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

DEMPSEY

I would have thought that to sterilize was good practice
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Eoin

Quote from: DEMPSEY on April 10, 2014, 10:13:46 PM
I would have thought that to sterilize was good practice

It seems that freezing is good enough. The yanks use a lot of tinned purees.

Sent from my HTC One