• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 05:52:07 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Bottle carbing and Temperature

Started by molc, December 05, 2014, 09:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

molc

Heya,
Like any good little engineer, I'm trying to improve my processes after the last meet. I think Rossa suggested keeping the bottles a little warmer for a few weeks to clean up off flavours a little bit.

The question is how warm and how do people usually do it? I was thinking of maybe popping all the bottles into the brew fridge, along with the keg, throwing the brew belt in beside them and setting the STC to 20C, and putting it's sensor in a glass of water, so the ambient will raise to a decent temperature.

Is that even safe, as I have a feeling brew belts should be wrapped around something (maybe the keg...)

Also, any other tips after trying my beers to improve them would be greatly appreciated. Only way to learn is through critique :D
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

I just use the normal ambient temperature that I ferment at. Always seems to work, I've never had a batch fail to naturally carbonate.

The yeast are still alive and kicking, all they need is a bit of sugar to eat in order to create the carbonation in the bottle. I think it's best to keep things simple.

molc

I ferment in a cold room at this time of year, so the ambient is about 10. They carbonate after about a month, so I guess it will just take longer to gobble up all the by products from the fermentation.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Bubbles

Hmm. 10C is a pretty cold temperature to bottle condition at alright. I think you could achieve the same result in less time by just moving a couple of crates of bottles to a warmer room. Carbonation should only take a few days to achieve, followed by a couple of weeks cold conditioning to drop the yeast and improve the flavour.