• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 10:13:55 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hello from Dundalk

Started by Acott, January 12, 2015, 08:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acott

Hey All,

My name is Aidan, I'm based in Dundalk. Fairly new to the home brew game, I played around with extract kits for a while last year and lost interest. Decided to give it another go
but this time with All Grain. Currently working on small 1 gallon experiment batches after some inspiration from the Brooklyn Brew Shop.

Bubbling at the minute I have a standard IPA and a Vanilla Oatmeal Stout. 

Looking forward to talking brews and getting up to my knees in all grain, with some help from you all  :) 

Bubbles

Welcome to the site Aidan. Lots of information in the archives, but ask lots of questions too.

The small batches are great for experimentation, but for consistency, you might find you get better results if you scale up. The smaller batches are more subject to fluctuations in temperature (mash and fermentation), so watch those carefully.

Acott

Cheers Bubbles,

Yeah I read online that you have less room for error in small batches. I think the largest batch I can brew would be 2.5 gallons, due to space restrictions.
I have hopes and dreams of a kegerator down the line, so I'll definitely have to upscale for that.

Bubbles

2.5 gal is a grand size. Do the max that your system will allow.

itsclinto

Hi Aidan,

Welcome to the club.  I'm from Drogheda myself but we have a louth club with monthly meetings in Dundalk with a few lads from Dundalk at these.  We range from lads who have done kits and extracts, to lads doing all grain and to wines and meads aswell.  Theres always something different at each meeting.  It'd probably be worth your while popping along to the next meeting.  You learn alot and have a good laugh aswell.  You just missed the last meeting on Friday gone but our meetings are the second Friday of every month.  Check out our forum for news about the next meeting.

Niall

Acott

Ah brilliant, I was wondering if there was a Louth club.

I'd love to come along to the next meet up  :)

itsclinto

It was only formed since last September/October.  Keep an eye out for a date for the meeting that somebody will post closer the time in the forum.  It'll be in Soraghans Pub, Ardee Road, Dundalk and if you post in the forum, i'm sure somebody might be able to share a taxi/lift with you if you're stuck

danger_zone

Welcome Aidan.as clinto said we have a meet up every month where we sample each others brews.its good craic so come along to the next one.

How do you find the 1gallon batches.do they turn out ok.I'd be tempted to try them at some stage myself for experimentation.i have Brooklyn brewshops beer making book on the laptop there's some interesting recipes in it
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

Acott

Hey Danger,

1 Gallon is perfect for experimenting! Great thing is, if you brew something you don't particularly like, you don't feel so bad when you flush it, or pawn it off. It's also a nice way to try something different, lash some chocolate nibs cherries and vanilla pod in to a regular oatmeal stout and you have a Black Forest Gateau Stout.

The only drawback is it takes as long to brew a 1 gallon batch as it does to brew a 5 gallon. But having the freedom to do it all on your stove, with minimal space taken up is what I like