• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 09, 2024, 03:19:43 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brew Suggestions For Using Up Grains.

Started by Greg2013, March 06, 2015, 02:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

What kind of beer could i brew from the ingredients below ? Trying to use up some grains here  ;D

Pale Ale Malt 15kg
Pilsner Malt 20kg
Torrified Wheat 95.0gr
Roasted Barley 697.0gr
Dark Crystal Malt 230.0gr
Saaz 3% 50gr
Cascade 7.8% 100gr
Herkules 15.0% 50gr
Columbus 15.9% 25.0gr
EKG 7.4% 1kg
Magnum 12.7% 1kg
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

I want to use up all the smaller speciality grains if possible,the base malts are uncrushed so i don't need to use all of them. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

TheSumOfAllBeers

There's a decent stout or porter recipe in there

CARA

Upa Sesh

Greg2013

Quote from: CARA on March 06, 2015, 03:54:05 PM
Couple of SMASH pilsners there too

I have two AG pilsners down atm fermenting away so i was hoping for something different like maybe a stout or a porter or black ipa that would use all the speciality grains in one or two brews. ;D

irish_goat

CARA

Quote from: Greg2013 on March 06, 2015, 04:14:57 PM

I have two AG pilsners down atm fermenting away so i was hoping for something different like maybe a stout or a porter or black ipa that would use all the speciality grains in one or two brews. ;D

Just seen that on your video :P
Upa Sesh

Greg2013

Quote from: CARA on March 06, 2015, 06:16:59 PM
Quote from: Greg2013 on March 06, 2015, 04:14:57 PM

Just seen that on your video :P

God help ya after watching that  :P

Greg2013

Quote from: nigel_c on March 06, 2015, 06:52:59 PM
Links?

Look up Con's Irish Cider review on here if you mean links to the video Cara is on about. ;D

Greg2013

I could split the speciality grains and do two brews but would appreciate some suggestions for a recipe of two that will use them all up,don't much care what style but a dark beer would be nice. ;D

nigel_c

Greg2013

Quote from: nigel_c on March 07, 2015, 09:00:34 AM
What yeasts have you got available?

Be handy i suppose if i had mentioned that doh ???

3 x GV 12 Gervin Ale Yeast(notty i believe)

Mangrove Jacks Dry Yeasts;

MJ M79 Burton Union yeast

MJ M10 Workhorse yeast

MJ M44 U.S. West Coast yeast

At the moment what i am leaning towards is splitting the speciality grains exactly in half,sticking say 5kg pale malt with each half, and doing two almost identical batches but with different yeasts,and play around with the hops in both but not to go overboard. ;D