• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:38:56 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

brewcon hops

Started by dcalnan, May 11, 2015, 05:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcalnan

Since Ben from Charles Faram was so nice to give away the hops at the end of the day, I was thinking I won't be alone in a few questions about the hops he gave out.
Mainly that they might not have been stored at the proper temperatures, and not in a vacuum sealed bags, meant to ask him afterwards but forgot.
I got roughly 50g each of fuggles, which was packaged in January and mandarina bavaria packaged in november. How should I adjust usage of them to take into account
the storage of them? I'm thinking back to our sensory tasting and the Isovaleric acid (cheesy,sweaty socks) that can be associated with using old hops.

johnrm

I picked up Citra.
They would be oxidised, so I would use them for bittering only as flavour and aroma would not be great.

danger_zone

ah poo. I must have left before he gave them out
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

Will_D

Talking of Brewcon Hops, what about the Mottly pellets (thanks MB for the sponsorship)

Anyone suggesting recipes?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

nigel_c

I'm using my lot as a blend  ;)

irish_goat

Quote from: nigel_c on May 14, 2015, 01:15:12 PM
I'm using my lot as a blend  ;)

My sandwich bag split inside so I've no choice but to blend them.  :P

nigel_c

Same here. No harm really.
Going into a brew I'm doing today.

Will_D

Please post recipe when done (here and on our forum) as a good few of us NCBers were there and we can try the same brew recipe and compare like with like in a few meets time!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

tipp brewer

I am hoping to do a 1 gallon batch when kids go to bed at weekend, haven't done one before, its from the randy mosher book. Ruby you hot little   ... Scharzbracket
here s the recipe modified to what i have
81% Vienna malt
1% black patent malt
9% honey cooked down to a medium amber colour????
9 % strongly flavoured honey added to secondary

i m going to use the celia hops at 60 mins for bittering

i only have safale 04 but given its only a 1 gallon batch i reckon it should manage the high alcohol level.
maturation time is 8 to 12 months so that should take care of those funky s 04 flavours that i ve noticed when beer is young.
its another good reason for a 1 gallon batch anyway might be a while before  i can say how it goes.

irish_goat

I thought honey wasn't supposed to be cooked?

tipp brewer

I m not too sure, he refers to a technique in the book which talks about cooking sugar but in the honey section it does say not to boil. I think i might do the boil without the honey and add it post boil and cool, could hold it at 65 during the cooling phase to pasteurise but it ll probably be getting late at that stage so will see what energy levels are like.

tipp brewer

Ok you got me thinking on the cooking the honey part and i had a look in the press and found some black treacle so i think i ll use that in the boil kettle for a full boil. I ll stick with the honey in the secondary.

Keg

I still have the Celeia and 25g of Cascade hops left from BrewCon.  Are they still viable/worth using at this stage?  I'm brewing tomorrow and it would be a good opportunity to use them.
Also has anyone any feedback on the Celeia hops?

armedcor

I just made a 4.5 litre pale ale with the Cascade about two weeks ago gonna bottle it tomorrow.  They seemed fine!