• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 14, 2024, 10:40:36 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Stopped Fermenation

Started by Vince Ahern, May 22, 2015, 10:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince Ahern

Hi people. I'm new to this web but need some advice asap. I got a 30 bottle 7 day australian blend pinot grigio and started it 4 days ago. Fermentation started after 24 hours and has stopped after 3 days fermentation. The starting sg was 1.072.  constant temp of around 23degrees. Should this have stopped already? Afraid to open it up and check the sg as I'm afraid of contamination etc. Any ideas?

mr hoppy

How do you know it's stopped?

Vince Ahern

No bubbling. Was fairly vigorous last few days. Surely too early to be finished?

mr hoppy

It could be stuck but no bubbling could be a loose seal on the lid or something else as easily as a finished fermentation.

Do you know what temperature it fermented at, even roughly, or if the temperature could have dropped?

Vince Ahern

Nothing loose, temp was between 22 and 25 deg.

Greg2013

It could still be fermenting jut not bubbling through the airlock,an airlock is the most unreliable way for telling of fermentation is finished.Gases can escape anywhere even if you think nothing is loose doesn't mean it's airtight,i have got caught several times like  this myself. ;)

My advice leave it alone for the 7 days then sanitize a hydrometer and take a reading,patience is key ;D

If it is a stuck ferment and we don't know that it is at this stage then that can be sorted too. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Vince Ahern

Should I not check the sg now and after the 7 days and see if it has dropped?

Greg2013

Quote from: Vince Ahern on May 23, 2015, 11:29:31 AM
Should I not check the sg now and after the 7 days and see if it has dropped?

The more often you open it the more chance of infection,it's only 7 days leave it be,if you took an original gravity reading you have no need to take another now.Wait until the 7 days are up and take a reading then. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Vince Ahern

Ya. I suppose. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how I get on on Monday.

mr hoppy

I'd generally wait until a brew should be done before checking gravity. Are you using an opaque bucket.

Vince Ahern

White plastic so can't see anything.

Greg2013

Quote from: Vince Ahern on May 23, 2015, 12:12:53 PM
Ya. I suppose. Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how I get on on Monday.

Sorry m8 didn't mean to sound snarky the way that came across. Ok i feel your pain i do i have been there before as we all have and will be there again no doubt but  my best advice is relax,for the sake of waiting 7 days leave it be so as not to risk infection,on Monday sanitize a hydrometer and let us know what the reading is. If ya have a stuck ferment there are ways to solve that. ;D

johnrm

Sanitize Hydrometer, have a snoop and if no and gently drop into fermenter.

Vince Ahern

Just checked the sg and its at 1.002. Should I transfer it to the carboy. All smells good too. Nearly burnt my nostrils.