• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:57:18 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Wine not clearing

Started by Drzava, May 28, 2015, 09:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drzava

I put on an Australian Blend Pinot Grigio kit a few weeks ago. It fermented to schedule but I only got around to fining it last weekend. So Thursday (after having racked off lees a few days before), racked onto stabiliser and Finings 1. Agitated it with a paddle for about 20 mins and then left it until Friday, when I added the Finings 2. Instructions state 24 - 48 hours to clear, which seems to be in keeping with reviews for the kit. After 24 hours I racked, expecting most of the trub to be on the bottom - however, there was virtually none and the wine was still cloudy. I had intended to bottle on Sunday but have decided to hold off for a week. However, last night I drew off a sample and it's still somewhat cloudy (albeit a bit better). I really need to get it out as I can't start my next kit until I do. Can I just add 'extra' finings? Should they be an 'all in one' job, rather than the two stage (presumably chitosan and kiesosol?). Cheers!

Simon_

I did a sav blanc a while back that didn't clear fully until a month or so in the bottle leaving all the gunk at the bottom of each bottle meaning the last glass was cloudy.
Next wine I have on I'm going to leave in a carboy for about a month after fining and then bottle