• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 21, 2024, 11:39:51 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Growing Chimay Blue Yeast.

Started by Greg2013, June 19, 2014, 05:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

June 19, 2014, 05:10:33 PM Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:56:55 PM by Greg2013
Had my only bottle of this beer at the weekend ad as i was about to throw out the empty got a brain fart to try and grow the yeast from the bottle. Rinsed out the bottle with some boiled and cooled water into a clean empty jar that had been rinsed with boiling water, added some more boiled cooled water about half way up, stuck in two teaspoons of sugar and put it in the kitchen cupboard. I figured that if it kicked off at all i would try to grow it up properly, well next day there was fizzy fizzy so  i did a bbiab with about 3 lbs of ale malt and two small hop additons at 30mins and 15min and a 1/4 tsp Irish Moss at 15mins in a 90min boil. ;D

Ended up with about five litres post boil, filled up a 2 litre soda bottle with some and stuck that in the freezer for future use. The remainder i proceed as normal using a one gallon glass demiohn.That was yesterday and today she is bubbling away nicely, slowly but steadily. I am hoping this is a success, i will get a couple of litres of a nice belgian ale of some sort and more importantly loads more yeasties. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGSyGR1iCzY&feature=youtu.be
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Ok this seems to have finished after only 24 hours so bit worried the yeasties may have been too stressed and have crapped out ? Would it be worth my while to do up a simple AG ale full batch and pitch this in just to see ?  ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)