• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 12:39:36 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Water Brewing Calculator

Started by bbreal, June 09, 2023, 01:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbreal

Hi, brewing few years on and off and struggle with water calculations still, any help. Brewing Kraken today from HBC. 5.54 kg mash, 27l final boil etc. I put it in the grainfather calculator because that's what I was using, I ended up with the grainfather nearly full at over 30l. I assumed that I should have close or near to 27l wort for boil. Did the grains not absorb what they were supposed to. Any pointers or help appreciated.

markov

The grandfather calculator is usually fairly correct for mash/sparge volumes what batch volume did you put into the calcuator 23 litres? Would usually be looking at 28 litre pre-boil volume then.

I normally use brewfather these days but seem to remember it gives more or less the same water volumes for mash/sparge. Here's what I get with brewfather for a 23L batch (i.e. 23 litres into fermenter)

Mash Water: 18.46 L
Sparge Water: 13.97 L
Total Water: 32.43 L
Boil Volume: 28 L

I'd only usually bit hitting 30 litres pre-boil volume if I was making a 25 litre batch. If you can give details on volumes used, batch size etc, also are you measuring gravity after boil are you hitting figures here (i.e. higher/lower than expected?) and maybe someone can where things might be going astray?

bbreal

Hi, ya looking at it again I fecked up I put in 27l in the batch volumn instead of 23l which it should be which added more water.
Can never hit my OG in last few brews. Excuse to try another. When I brewed using cooler box I hit OG all time, grainfather is hit and miss.