• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 08, 2024, 10:13:47 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

50 litre fermenting buckets

Started by Tom, August 25, 2013, 12:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Anyone know where I can get 50l foodgrade buckets from? I wan't to be fermenting about 43 litres in one vessel, so can go larger.

Thanks.

Greg2013

FOC or paid for ? I came across some 60 litre Fvs the other day on a site i think it was UK but afaik one of the Irish sites does 60litre fvs as well?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Tom

I have no idea what FOC is an acronym for!

I've found some at copper kettle brewing in UK (and I've used them before), but they're out of stock and I'm over here for the forseeable future. But if there was somewhere here, that'd be handy.

Delzep: actually, yeah. Here's a link to all the plastics http://www.care2.com/greenliving/which-plastics-are-safe.html in case you suffer from hypochondria. I'll be in Ikea a lot sooner than I'll be in the UK (although I'll typically be in Ikea for a lot longer).

Tom

Just done another search, and the PP (polypropelyne) can be used for food (won't poison you) but unless it's specifically food grade then leeched flavours can be a problem. I conditioned some beer in a watercarrier from a camping shop, and it tasted vile (though was probably not poisonous). Think I might give Ikea a miss this time, even if it is cheap.

Greg2013

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Tom

FOC is a prettier price than £43! I'm going to try and get a gas burner from them so that might work, thanks.

60l, why stop there?
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/15_Gallon_Conical_Fermenter.html

Will_D

Why not use a 50 L keg? Remove the spear and fit an airlock!

BTW: Declan has a CO2 bottle for you :)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

brenmurph

Keg not so easy to clean,

what about 60l food grade conical fermenter with ss bottom tap and sealed/ sealable lid? for around 100 euros? 40 litre around 80 euros.

http://www.tanksuk.co.uk/

Im workin on gettin one over this week, a group buy of 20 may proceed saving significant delivery cost.

Latest offer from his is as follows ( single one....20 units on a pallet costs 180 euros shipping)

"1no 40ltr with stainless fitting £54, shipping £20, total £74 no vat to pay, I do have a 40ltr with a brass fitting in stock for £50, if you do want the stainless fitting i will order."

Ciderhead has given these the all clear re food grade and so on..aparently the rotational moulding method makes them completly smooth inside.

delzep

got a 110l plastic box today from Homestore and More for a tenner....all their plastic containers are half price. The mark on the bottom of the container had a 5 and PP...this would be ok yeah?

Ciderhead

It's will be ok as long as its not red blue or green

TT

delzep

got a clear plastic one, but they have a few other colours yeah

Ciderhead

Tom

@Will_D: Happy days, thanks a million.

@BrenMurph: I do quite like the look of those conicals. I didn't see them at that price though, it's very impressive. Copperkettle homebrew in Kettering has told me he's ordering in the 60l fermenters, so I've got to make a decision! I did see a conical being used to store used cooking oil in the business end of a hotel kitchen recently, but could not find out where they came from. I'll keep an eye out for the GB.

As for those square ones (including the Ikea ones, if clear PP [5] is OK to use, I wonder if I could use Yorkshire Square yeast to good effect? Or is that for another thread!

*Edit*
QuoteTanks UK also have the ability to manufacture bespoke polyethene products, including falconry travel box/hawk transport box.