• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:17:00 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Fridge freezer

Started by mr hoppy, March 05, 2013, 02:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr hoppy

Any one have any suggestions / experiences of how to get a hold of a brew fridge. Already watching out on adverts.ie/donedeal/buynsell/gumtree and the cork freecycle group.

johnrm

March 05, 2013, 02:15:05 PM #1 Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:18:05 PM by johnrm
Visit your local electrical store!
These guys HAVE to take back fridges, and they have to PAY to dump them, so are happy to have people take them away.

I had this posted elsewhere...

For me it was trial and error, 1st fridge was leaking, the second suited. I only found this out when I got home tho' so living <10 km from shop was handy.

Required: Some electrical knowledge, Fuses, Bag of tools (screwdrivers, wire strippers, electrical tape etc.), Extension lead, Permanent Marker, some bottles of homebrew.

Pencil in about 2 hours as you will want to see that the fridge cools which may take a little while per test subject.

Get a leccy guy on side in the shop, tell them briefly what you are doing, that aethetics are not important, and promise beer. If done correctly, this will instantly turn him into a friendly leccy guy.

An extension lead would be useful and may save you a trip back to return a duff fridge, promise more beer and the now very friendly leccy guy should not have a problem with this.

Pick a fridge that is the right size for what you want to do, I was fortunate enough to come across a full size, fridge only with no freezer, fits 2 fermenters and 6 kegs at a squeeze. Perfect!

Have a quick look over the test subject for obvious stuff, broken seals, holes etc.
Check that the electrics and compressor look OK, its not much use if the plug is cut off.
Check the pipework, look for obvious holes in the plumbing: A leak in the circuit means repair and refill, not an option. Use your nose for any distinctive 'gas' smell.
Plug it in. Power it on. Set the Temp to the lowest temp (sometimes 5 on the dial).
Listen for Compressor operation, quiet running is good.
If compressor does not run...
CAUTION: Make sure you are disconnected from mains before messing with electrics!
If the electronics or stat have failed, you may need to go for your tools and make the circuit to the compressor.
There should be an earth(green/yellow) going to body of the fridge.
There should 2 wires going to the compressor, neutral (blue) and live(brown), one of these is switched via the thermostat.
If the stat/electronics are goosed, bridge the circuit (Strip, join, tape).
Power up the fridge and listen for the compressor again.
Check for gas leaks.

If you have closed the book on any fridge, write 'Crap' or similar on the door in Permanent Marker; saves you nosing about this one again.

I'm not 100%, but for frost-free fridges, it may be possible to lean on the frost-free bit for heating to ferment temps. Simplest however is Bulb-in-a-box, mat or belt.
Don't set your controller to -55C, just because your controller can do -55C does not mean your compressor can handle it. Something will go pop, then you have do this all over again!

Once selected, proclaim your success and promise more beer to your now BFF leccy guy. In a few months he will be doing the same for himself!

mr hoppy

Hi John,

That's quite interesting. What's the chances of finding something that doesn't require serious electrical knowledge - as I've not a clue about such things?

LordEoin

If you're a regular in the local recycling depot they often have fridges that work.
They usually don't like people taking stuff, but a 20 in the hand tends to make them a lot more friendly.
Just make sure it hasn't rained for a few days before visiting.

Garry

Have you seen this one:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/kitchenappliances/4571021

I was going to give him a call but herself started complaining that my homebrew stuff was taking up too much room as it is  :(

RichC

I'll be getting one of these myself soon. Whats the best option, I dont keg so itll just be for bottles and fermenters. Would a chest freezer of a larder fridge be better? Can a larder fridge handle the temps required for a pilsener?

mr hoppy

Fridges are better than freezers if you want temp control. When you're doing the primary you'd need to have the fridge at the top temperature and any fridge should be able to get down pretty close to zero for lagering. The one I had up to now got down to 2 - 3 degrees no problem.

johnrm

March 05, 2013, 10:58:10 PM #7 Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:58:47 PM by johnrm
@mr happy - if the one on DD is still up for grabs it would be worth looking at.
Add an STC1000 to it (EUR20 on ebay) and a bulb in a box (heating) and you're done.
I would be happy to help put it all together.

mr hoppy

Thanks John, unfortunately I don't think that one's going to work out due to timing but I might take you up on that offer yet!

DEMPSEY

QuoteHave you seen this one:

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/kitchenappliances/4571021

I was going to give him a call but herself started complaining that my homebrew stuff was taking up too much room as it is  :(
Some one grab this one,its the right size for a corney set up. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

baconsarnie

Done deal, adverts etc are always useful. But I agree John- make sure you go to your local white goods supplier. Under new regulations (WEEE), when they sell a new fridge or freezer they are obliged to take old ones from the customer

I got a perfectly good fridge for my kegerator by dropping into my local electrical store, letting them know what i wanted etc. They were only too happy to offload to me (saves them money & hassle in having to dispose) and they gained a six pack or 2

johnrm

I reckon they would have no problem letting you know if one was replaced for cosmetic reasons or a broken shelf.

JimmyM

QuoteUnder new regulations (WEEE)

Ah yeah, the new 8 year old regulations :P
Formerly JamesM.

baconsarnie

[/quote]

Ah yeah, the new 8 year old regulations :P[/quote]

Point taken.

Points scored in online forum. Yay