• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:47:40 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Shelving or Racking

Started by Greg2013, March 24, 2013, 05:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

I have an 8x12 ft room, no its not a jail cell, and i want to see if i can get some shelving units to try to tidy it up a bit for getting fv's and things off the floor. Have a look at the included pic an see what i am looking for ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Yes i have checked Argos and other stores but they are like 60 euro for that one in the pic. The advantage of that one is each shelf individually can take 150kg weight(not that i would ever need that). So in theory you could put two full 33lt fv's on each shelf.

If anybody has some similar sturdy shelving going begging let me know please. And no constructing one from timber is not an option ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

rukkus

I bought one of these http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7000814/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/Trail/searchtext%3ESHELVES.htm does the job for holding my full boiler and mash tun.

I bought one of those and split it in two so i have two lower units.

Greg2013

Rukkus thats the one in the pic i posted buddy ;D

rukkus

Greg2013

newToBrew

QuoteYes i have checked Argos and other stores but they are like 60 euro for that one in the pic. The advantage of that one is each shelf individually can take 150kg weight(not that i would ever need that). So in theory you could put two full 33lt fv's on each shelf.

If anybody has some similar sturdy shelving going begging let me know please. And no constructing one from timber is not an option ;D

the dimensions in the one linked are :
Size H150, W80.8, D30.8cm.
depth of 1 foot - would you fit a 33 litre FV on that ? I dont think so

Also - I've always been under the impression that when fermenting - the FV needs to be kept in the dark ?? in that the yeast aint to fond of sunlight ????

am I missing something here ??

anyway - try and keep an eye on these sites

jumbletown.ie
and freecycle I think its freecycle.ie

jthese are sites where people are looking to off load crap thats of no use to them - as they say one mans rubbish is another mans treasure

freecycle - there is a waterford freecycle section - I think you need to sign up to it - can't remember its been a long time since I looked at either of them

but ....

both sites have a wanted section - so you can post in there what your looking for

I built - what I call my " brew box "  for @ 15 quid  - I'll upload some pics later
- I stumbled across a load of panels on a trolley in woodies one day - they were from some unit that got busted anyway the job lot was @ 15 quid - used half it to put some shelves in wardrobes and banged the rest of it together for the brew box - nothin fancy  - but I have 3 shelves in it 2 of which hold 33 litre fvs  - think I paid a fiver for hinges - the whole thing was nailed together in @ half an hour

coz theres always something new to do

Greg2013

Actually yes you would fit two 33lt fvs on that shelve as thats what i do. Light issue is easy just cover the fv with a blanket simples ;D

Down the road this shelving could be adapted to an all grain setup.

That original picture is actually my house and that unit is the same one rukkus linked to in Argos. Thought there might be a way to get two or three of them on the cheap is all ;D

Greg2013

Newtobrew see i have to be able to access and transport it on the bus as i have no accesss to a car :'(

newToBrew

who needs a car when you have free bottles of beer to trade for a lift ??
;D ;D ;D ;D
coz theres always something new to do

Greg2013

Indeed but i have no beer newtobrew, not for several weeks yet  :-[ :'(

JimmyM

QuoteIndeed but i have no beer newtobrew, not for several weeks yet  :-[ :'(

Im renaming you catch22 - catch for short! Your punchline can be "cos there's always a catch" :)
Formerly JamesM.

Greg2013

Probably a good name Jimmy because i see the catch in everything ;D

Greg2013

I would try that tube but i don't actually know who Dean Mc Guinness is? :o

Greg2013

Besides Tube if i could find a solution to everything it would kinda defeat the purpose of this site and posting here? :)