• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:35:26 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Aquarium Silicon

Started by Snuff, April 03, 2013, 10:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snuff

Anybody know where I can get some aquarium silicon? My new mashtun needs a little help sealing.
All the stuff I have seen in B&Q and Woodies has shit in it that I don't want near my mash.
Kildare / Dublin area.
Primary -
Secondary -
Kegged - Red Dragon, Red Lager, HopWarOne, ThisIsntLager
Bottled -

Greg2013

Found several on eBay around a fiver. Why not cut a gasket yourself if that's what you need?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

Snuff you can buy plastic LDPE washers in woodies or any plumbers merchants, they are traslucent and food grade by default most on here make washers from the wine coloured silicon baking trays, more flexible and thicker.
No issues with heat or migration into your beer.

barkar

April 04, 2013, 09:53:41 AM #3 Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:57:33 AM by barkar
I bought food grade silicone (Dow Corning 732) which is temperature resistant from CPC farnell .I have done some research on it and aquarium silicone isnt food grade (maybe for tropical fish its ok). I fitted 732 on my boiler around the elements once it cured it was fine . I got some other stuff as well from tripart in galway which was food contact safe but only temp resistant to 70c ( so ok for fermenters etc).
Other stuff that is available is from this crowd www.safetydirect.ie  - GE RTV108 silicone gel is the product . They had none in stock when i went looking but is on their catalogue

Also the dunnes homeware baking silicone trays (red ones) are particularly thick silicone and ideal for these purposes. I got 3 or 4 element washers out of it when i wasnt happy with the ones that came in the kettle i butchered

Snuff

Thanks for the help, I will have a look at the baking trays and hopefully that will do the trick.
Primary -
Secondary -
Kegged - Red Dragon, Red Lager, HopWarOne, ThisIsntLager
Bottled -