• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 08:42:17 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Dunkelweizen

Started by wilted, August 13, 2013, 08:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilted

Right so my shocktop(thanks lord eoin) is bubbling away nicely so I think its time to start planning my next brew.
I love a good dunkel so I'm going to try hack a cooper wheat kit into a dunkel :)
Any suggestions/advice will be much appreciated
Here we go(go easy on me I'm still a newbie)

Coopers kit
1kg wheat DME
500g dark DME

Steep
115g black
115g caramel
200g carapils

Yeast wb06

Have at it experts of the kit brew

irish_goat

I'm not sure if that much black malt is going to be good for a dunkel. They don't tend to have that much roasty character. I'd drop it and use 200g carafa special along with the caramel and carapils.

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/roasted-caramalt-dehusked-carafa-special-3-germany-500g-p-613.html

wilted

Excellent I'll swap that out I had got chocolate in there and swapped it out for black.
Carafa special looks like it'll do the job nicely,thanks goat :)

Richie71

Well I'm just supping on the last of the Hefe from Lord Eoin's recipe (many thanks btw!!) and had the same idea as wilted.  My thoughts for a Dunkelweizen are (keeping it as simple as I can)...

Coopers Wheat Beer Kit
150g Carafa Special 1
1.5kg Coopers wheat LME
WB-06 yeast

Any update from your brew Wilted...how did it turn out?

LordEoin

Those recipes both look like they'll be the bees knees  :D
with wb06, underpitch for banana, overpitch for clove
22 for banana, 18C for clove
Play with it!

wilted

Sorry about the late reply Richie been without internet access for the last two months or so :(
The dunkel turned out great it benefits from a bit of extra bottle conditioning compared to a standard wheat beer, I'd give it 4 weeks or more(it was a bit odd after two weeks it tasted like the flavours hadn't combined properly yet but after four yummy and a bit too easy to drink). Think I may increase the caramel to 150g next time around but it turned out better than expected.

Eoin I brewed it at 21 degrees for about ten days then lowered it to about 17 for another five. Banana flavours seem to be just about right(to my untrained trap anyways)

LordEoin

Well... it's your 'untrained trap' that has to drink it, so if it tastes good to you then it's perfect ;)

Richie71

That's great to hear Wilted.  Mine is only in the bottle a week now so should be good to go Christmas week.  I ended up using the Muntons Connoisseur Wheat Beer instead of the Coopers.  Never tried that one before so fingers crossed.

wilted

Too true eoin :)
Never tried muntons so let me know how you get on Richie