• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 04, 2024, 09:54:10 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Coopers IPA

Started by googoomuck, October 13, 2013, 11:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

googoomuck

Morning lads, quick one for ya. I put a coopers IPA on the go last Monday. Checked the gravity this morning as I won't be home at all tomorrow, it's at 1018 from a start of 1050 the thermometer is lit up at 16 and 18 with 18 being the brightest. Should I stick a hot water bottle under the duvet to get it a bit warmer or leave it be? I added dextrose to the recipe so was hoping it would be a bit stronger the the 4 odd percent it is now (tastes great all the same).
Cheers, Lee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Eoin

That's fine at that temperature. Is it reading the same over a few days?

Sent using a complex system of semaphore and ninjas.

googoomuck

Quote from: Eoin on October 13, 2013, 12:13:29 PM
That's fine at that temperature. Is it reading the same over a few days?

TT
This is the first reading since Monday when I made it.

Greg2013

Quote from: googoomuck on October 13, 2013, 11:54:52 AM
Morning lads, quick one for ya. I put a coopers IPA on the go last Monday. Checked the gravity this morning as I won't be home at all tomorrow, it's at 1018 from a start of 1050 the thermometer is lit up at 16 and 18 with 18 being the brightest. Should I stick a hot water bottle under the duvet to get it a bit warmer or leave it be? I added dextrose to the recipe so was hoping it would be a bit stronger the the 4 odd percent it is now (tastes great all the same).
Cheers, Lee.

I would not heat it now, might have finished a bit high because of the lower temps? Take a reading over 2-3 days and see if it drops any further. Are you bottling or kegging?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

googoomuck

Quote from: Greg2013 on October 13, 2013, 12:20:53 PM
Quote from: googoomuck on October 13, 2013, 11:54:52 AM
Cheers, Lee.

I would not heat it now, might have finished a bit high because of the lower temps? Take a reading over 2-3 days and see if it drops any further. Are you bottling or kegging?
I had a look at the fermenter on Friday morning and it was at 20c, it fermented all week around the 23c mark.  I'll be kegging this one. Will I leave it for a few days before taking the readings?

Greg2013

No take a reading tomorrow morning and day after and see if it drops any more, if not i reckon keg away since no need to worry about bottle bombs ;)
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

googoomuck

Quote from: Greg2013 on October 13, 2013, 12:32:42 PM
No take a reading tomorrow morning and day after and see if it drops any more, if not i reckon keg away since no need to worry about bottle bombs ;)
Cool will do, thanks for the info!!

LordEoin

1.018 is ver high for a Coopers IPA. It should end up about 1.008-1.010 with DME or 1.010-1.012 with LME.
What was the recipe you used?

18C is the lower end (and best temp) for the supplied yeast so if it dropped below that I would advise you warm it up a bit for a couple of days to see it it kicks off again.

I fyou do keg/bottle it as-is, prime at a lower rate than normal.

googoomuck

Quote from: LordEoin on October 13, 2013, 11:44:04 PM
1.018 is ver high for a Coopers IPA. It should end up about 1.008-1.010 with DME or 1.010-1.012 with LME.
What was the recipe you used?

18C is the lower end (and best temp) for the supplied yeast so if it dropped below that I would advise you warm it up a bit for a couple of days to see it it kicks off again.

I fyou do keg/bottle it as-is, prime at a lower rate than normal.
I used a can if LME, 300g of dextrose and 250g of maltodextrin. I'll keep an eye on the temp so and go from there 

Eoin

Maltodextrin will leave it finishing high.

Sent using a complex system of semaphore and ninjas.

googoomuck

Quote from: Eoin on October 14, 2013, 08:42:21 AM
Maltodextrin will leave it finishing high.

TT
Ah right, if I had used steeping grains like carapils would it finish high also?

LordEoin

with carapils it would finish up somewhere around 1.012-1.014

googoomuck

Quote from: LordEoin on October 14, 2013, 12:16:46 PM
with carapils it would finish up somewhere around 1.012-1.014
Would that figure include the extra sugar?

googoomuck

Only got a chance to test the beer this evening, it's now at 1016, so heading in the right direction I suppose. I have decided to dry hop this, and ordered a hop bag today. How long will I boil it for it to be sanitised?

I should really be writing that essay/working. Delete as appropriate. 

LordEoin

Just throw the empty bag into a saucepan of water and bring it to a boil and you're safe :)
If you want to be double sure boil it for 5 or 10 minutes.