• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:13:01 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Minikeg/growler

Started by irish_goat, May 24, 2019, 08:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

It's the same little gas bottle like you get from THBC but I might skip the bottle I got with it and go buy them from their just in case.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

DEMPSEY

THBC cylinders are 8G where as the Aldi ne is 16G :-\

Simon_

Quote from: LordEoin on June 16, 2019, 10:24:47 PM
bike tyre inflator from aldi (€5) + tube from aliexpress (€1.50)
Can you link to the tube from aliexpress (€1.50) please?

DEMPSEY

Out trying to source a part for this atm. Bicycle shop has nothing.

DEMPSEY

Check that the part in Aldi is working. I had to bring mine back as the threads on the unit were reamed out.  ;)

LordEoin

June 19, 2019, 09:35:34 PM #36 Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:54:27 PM by LordEoin
not sure if its the same shop, but it looks like the same part
Aliexpress item
Just chop off the end you don't want. added a hose clamp too to make it last longer.
Unsure where to get replacement bulbs if the HBS ones are a different size. guessing paintball supplies.
a quick google shows this
https://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/mosa-co2-16g-threaded-box-of-30
the 'food grade' debate will probably rumble but that doesnt concern me as i only plan on using it occasionally to serve and empty a corny, but mainly as an emergency backup in case my main gas leaks out unexpectedly and leaves me serveless.
if in doubt, just spend the extra 20 on one built for purpose. i like making things.

DEMPSEY

Local bicycle shop has loads of them 16Gr ones so I reckin they are plenty around them shops. 

CH

Folks just to remind everybody as I've said this before when it comes to those little capsules there is food and non food grades versions. The difference comes in the method of manufacturing, with pretty much all coming from China, they use cheaper steel and a lubricant oil to form the bulb from a disc. The lubricant is washed from the surface but not the inside of those for filling bikes or paintball there is no need.
https://youtu.be/zHtiSvlDpa0
The ones chefs use for cream and you granny used for soda water are more expensive and food grade. The irony is that the co2 is probably ok but the lubricant isn't.
For the food ones on the Link LE posted

https://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/co2-for-beer-soda

LordEoin

the ones for cream are n02 i think. otherwise you'd have fizzy cream

CH

That might be a bit of fun to try

Ceedee

Quote from: CH on June 22, 2019, 06:35:44 PM
Folks just to remind everybody as I've said this before when it comes to those little capsules there is food and non food grades versions....

And if you want proof, just discharge one of the cheaper CO2 canisters through a sheet of newspaper, or tissue and the oil will be evident.

beerfly

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on June 06, 2019, 11:57:35 PM
The 10L ones on GEB are a great price. Was going to pick another up until I got into sankeys.

In general the 5L ones are the ones to get. Its the most practical size.
0p

shweeney

the mini-kegs from Geterbrewed (and Malt Miller etc, they all seem to be the same design).

If you have several kegs filled is the idea you have a ball-lock lid for each or do you store your beer with the screw-tops on the kegs.
If the latter how do you change keg without loosing pressure?

I'm not that familiar with kegging, but these look pretty good for small batches and would fit in a non-dedicated fridge so thinking about them.