• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 13, 2024, 03:09:17 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Cold break + hop strainer/false bottom = pointless

Started by admin, September 18, 2012, 01:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud395

QuoteLast summer (the relatively dry one) because I use my own well I no chilled 3 brews.
I did suffer 1 case of DMS, I never really figured out why it effected 1 brew and not the other 2.
It was a stout and very overpowered by the off flavour.

I wonder was this due to the grain bill the the stout, i have heard the no DMS statement from a few professional brewers but only in relation to pale malt malting methods, not sure if the same is true for speciality malts and unmalted grains.. what were the 2 successful batches pale ales?
As it happens they were, I wonder if there's a connection. I've been told the same by 1 brewer and different by a second, so I dont know.

Tube, it's boied veg like, I brought it to a meet up for research and disection. Some of the lads even enjoyed it in samll doeses. It was GrĂ¡inne that identified it.
DMS can come from an infection but will get worse over time, this one is slowly conditioning out (a year later :o, I just kept a few bottles to observe it)
Non modo......sed etiam

Blackbrew

If you want to experience it I think rolling rock beer is a pretty good example of a DMS taste. It's a taste that some people detect more than others i have a friend year ago now who would never drink some Macro beer starting with C maybe Carlsberg or Carling (cant remember) as he though it tasted of cooked cabbage, we all thought he was crazy at the time..