• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 15, 2024, 02:01:29 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Gelatinising Unmalted Grains

Started by Greg2013, February 01, 2014, 09:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

February 01, 2014, 09:38:50 AM Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:07:53 AM by Greg2013
Probably nothing new to most folks on here but i just found this on another site and thought ye might be interested. The consensus seemed to be these temps all apply for a 90 minute mash, except for the Maize where it was suggested a much longer mash might be required ? I should clarify these are all unmalted grains unless otherwise specifically stated.  ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

imark

Greg2013

February 01, 2014, 11:07:26 AM #2 Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 11:28:06 AM by Greg2013
Quote from: imark on February 01, 2014, 11:05:47 AM
For mashing?

I know i have the terminology incorrect, i guess mashing would be the more correct term ? :-[
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

imark

Just trying to interpret this. What do the bars mean?

Greg2013

Quote from: imark on February 01, 2014, 11:14:45 AM
Just trying to interpret this. What do the bars mean?

The temperature range at which gelatinisation occurs :D

Sorcerers Apprentice

This years new season Irish barley has a higher gelatinisation temperature, if using this you will need to mash in at 64C to get conversion.
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

imark

Interesting. How do you find that out and does it vary much?

Sorcerers Apprentice

Last year before the new season barley appeared we would have been mashing in at 61,5/62 C to achieve the desired attenuation limit.
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Beerbuddha

The higher temp mash is required because of the high temperatures last summer. The summer temp basically killed some of the enzymes in the barley hense high mash temp to counteract this.  I wouldn't expect we will not see these Conditions in Ireland for a long time ! Once in ten years . Somewhere like Poland it can be 1 in 2 years so it all depends on where the grain originated from.
IBD Member