• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 18, 2024, 09:09:08 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

110L Oxygen tank & 0.5 lpm regulator:

Started by Hop Bomb, June 14, 2013, 04:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop Bomb

Hey Chris. Any chance you could post what you want in the thread on the members forum? Thanks
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

UpsidedownA (Andrew)

Comment on the knowledge base article:

Assume you don't have a flow meter. Would the following work as a method for measuring flow rate:

Take vessel of known volume.
Fill with water.
Submerge in larger vessel.
Bubble O2 into vessel until known volume is reached.
Time how long it takes.

Then in the future, you could estimate flowrate based on that. The question is, is the flow from a cylinder always at the same rate or does it drop off as the cylinder empties. Does the rate depend on how open the valve is? Probably. So you'd always have to open the valve the same amount if the above method is of any use at all.
IBD member

Shane Phelan

Yeah that would work Andrew, that was what I was going to do before I got my flow meter. I have a filter in-line with mine which means I need to turn the regulator a bit further than normal (~2 turns) so it was just less hassle to get the flow meter.

In terms of flow drop off, why not just repeat your test every 20 brews and see if it changes. If you were putting value on your time, the amount of it you will be spending messing/worrying about this would be offset 10 times over by spending a tenner on a flow meter...
Brew Log

Shanna

Quote from: Hop Bomb on July 22, 2013, 10:51:21 AM
Ive got my stone & tubing inside a stainless spear I removed from a keg. Stiffer tubing wwand ould work also. You could weigh it down with a stainless nut/bolt? The wand is a much more elegant solution though.
Hi Hop Bomb

i read through the wiki article and while it's very good the one area i am not sure of is the construction of the wand.  Would you mind taking some photos of your keg spear wand and provide a description/photos of how you made it .

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Ned

1. Hop Bomb:    01 x oxy bottle , 01 x regulator
2. McGrath         02 x oxy bottle , 01 x regulator
3. Ciderhead     01 x Oxy bottle, 01 x Regulator (You can never have enough ;-))
4. Shiny             01 x oxy bottle , 01 x regulator
5. Rossa            01 x oxy bottle , 01 x regulator
6. imark             01 x oxy bottle , 01 x regulator
7. Damofto        01 x oxy bottle , 01 x regulator
8. Blackbrew     01 x oxy bottle , 01 x regulator
9. Jacob            01 x oxy bottle , 01 x regulator
10. Ned             01 x oxy bottle, 01 x regulator

johnrm

mr hoppy

What was the welding supplier's name johnrm? All those products are still available as of last week for a few euros more than the group buy price.

Hop Bomb

The group buy with wholesale welding supplies only saved each person 5 euros on the items plus whatever each person would have saved on postage. It wasnt massive but they gave us free p&p on the order & NHC express sorted the rest.

@ Shanna - Ive a stainless steel racking cane from hop & grape with some tubing rammed on the end. The air stone fits snuggly into the tubing. Il take a pic when Im home this eve.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.