• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 12:01:11 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

110L Oxygen tank & 0.5 lpm regulator:

Started by Hop Bomb, June 14, 2013, 04:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Metattron

They have a separate price for just the bottle that is cheaper still. Might be worth investing the difference in a decent reg as theirs doesn't look great. I'd guess the bottle has a standard fitting.
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Hop Bomb

Is there a standard fitting though? I bought my aeration kit from the states & the regulator doesnt fit those oxyturbo bottles. These have the same fitting.

@Ciderhead - How do you know what your flow rate is though? To get the correct ppm for your OG you need to know your flow rate. Here is some info courtesy of Dr.Jacoby via Chris Whites Yeast book: oxygen needs to be injected at a rate of 1 litre per minute in a 1.077 wort to reach the desired 8-12ppm. This time could be reduced for a weaker wort. ("Yeast", Chris White, p. 79) The best flow rate for a homebrewer is .5 or 1 litre per minute. So for a wort of roughly 1.045 you'd need to oxygenate for about 90 seconds if you were using a .5 litre per minute flow regulator. If you were using a flow meter set to 1 litre per minute you'd need about 45 seconds

Going off that your 1 litre bottle should only do one brew at 1.077 (lets say 2 brews of a weaker beer) not 30-40. Thats for perfect aeration though. If you are just adding some as a little is better than nothing then I can see how you plan to get 30-40 brews from it.

Great podcast on it here:  http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/771
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Dr Jacoby

Quote from: Ciderhead on July 16, 2013, 10:42:36 AMThere is a litre of liquid oxygen in them and I calculated that I will get 30-40 brews from it. I used it for 2 mins on an RIS and 75 seconds for a pale and no sign of it being empty, I will weigh it the next time.

Just following on from what Hop Bomb has said, how did you calculate that you could get 30-40 brews from a 1 litre bottle? If we could make the oxygen stretch that far then oxygenation would be super cheap and affordable!

Quote from: Ciderhead on July 16, 2013, 10:42:36 AMI subsequently found out last week the agents down here are; http://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/ who have no shop just an online service.
I pinged them an email a couple of days ago and will post back as to what their costs are.
I am also looking for the inline filter membrane but can only see them in the US, its probably an overkill tbh and nothing will really grow in pore O2

I was in contact with these guys before. They ain't cheap. This is the best they can do for 9 Litres (though I never asked about group buy savings). They source their equipment from these guys in the UK.
Every little helps

Dr Jacoby

Quote from: Hop Bomb on July 16, 2013, 10:45:53 AM
Thanks to Mettatrons golden link it looks like a bulk buy of these will have everyone 110L of oxygen for half the price nearly. 

There is a discount if we buy 3 or more of these which brings the price per kit down by 20 sterling to 79.99 (before shipping)

The kit includes the regulator, face mask & tubing. You can just take the mask off & add your aeration stone to the end. You could buy a cheapo flow meter to put inline from ebay.

Is it time for a new list?

1. Hop_Bomb:  1 x  OXYFIT - Oxygen in a can (110 Litres) with valve and mask

This is all very exciting  :P My only worry is getting a proper regulator. It might be worth contacting them to see what they would suggest?
Every little helps

Hop Bomb

Just mailed them about shipping & got a reply within 10 mins. Nice. Up to 10 bottles is 22.97e p&p.

Just mailed them there about regulators/thread size for the tanks & what they'd recommend.

Ciderhead

July 16, 2013, 09:24:29 PM #20 Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 09:34:49 PM by Ciderhead
Quote from: Hop Bomb on July 16, 2013, 11:12:41 AM
Is there a standard fitting though? I bought my aeration kit from the states & the regulator doesnt fit those oxyturbo bottles. These have the same fitting.

@Ciderhead - How do you know what your flow rate is though? To get the correct ppm for your OG you need to know your flow rate. Here is some info courtesy of Dr.Jacoby via Chris Whites Yeast book: oxygen needs to be injected at a rate of 1 litre per minute in a 1.077 wort to reach the desired 8-12ppm. This time could be reduced for a weaker wort. ("Yeast", Chris White, p. 79) The best flow rate for a homebrewer is .5 or 1 litre per minute. So for a wort of roughly 1.045 you'd need to oxygenate for about 90 seconds if you were using a .5 litre per minute flow regulator. If you were using a flow meter set to 1 litre per minute you'd need about 45 seconds

Going off that your 1 litre bottle should only do one brew at 1.077 (lets say 2 brews of a weaker beer) not 30-40. Thats for perfect aeration though. If you are just adding some as a little is better than nothing then I can see how you plan to get 30-40 brews from it.

Great podcast on it here:  http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/771

I used to use a drill and paddle in the buckets or wine degasser in the carboys, it got me by until I started reading on here and else where about head retention
I now crank an O2 bottle with a .5 aeration stone.
My gauge is akin to a lot of my homebrewing open her up and let her flow!
I was going to turn her down if a lot of bubbles boiled to the surface but they didnt so I am guessing I have an 80-90% transmission rate.
Have a read of this and you will see even with a flowmeter and not a reg, its not an exact science as there are variables.
http://byo.com/stories/item/146-are-welding-oxygen-canisters-safe-for-homebrewing-aeration
All I can see is my fermetation feels like it starts earlier and is stronger, I haven't gone backwards which is the important thing and I dont have 12 inches of foam on the top of my wort before yeast addition either which was great for chucking my starters into carboys.
I'm still too early using the process to comment about head retention.

Rossa

This sounds good. I think I'm in but how big are the bottles size wise? A foot tall? two foot tall?

Shane Phelan

If the mask is anything to go by they look to be just over a foot tall which is why I'm interested in them. Its no use to me if its a rugby player's leg type thing.
Brew Log

Ciderhead

From their website

"With regular breathing at a flow of 2 litres per minute the oxygen is sufficient for approx. 55 minutes.
Dimensions: weight - 1296g, height 32cm, diameter 7cm"

That bottle looks suspiciously like my welding gas with a different label for 3 times the cost!,
I am not sure you could physically get 110L in a bottle that small.

Input required on gas compression from NHC gas consulant?, whose house btw is on the Malahide Firebrigade watch list :-)

Will_D

A 1 Litre bottle of Oxygen like the welding gas that CH has is filled to about 110 bar

Science bit:

One bar is atmospheric pressure at sea level: typically 14 psi (unless its a piss wet day in .ie and so is about 13.5).

So a 1 litre bottle filled at 1 bar has 1 L of O2
So a 1 L bottle filled to 10 bar will contain 10 L of )2
Therefore at 110 bar the bottle will contain 110 Litres

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

Thanks Dr Gas ;)
So indeed it is the same as my welding tank.

Will_D

Seems like - just a teeney tiney price difference!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Hop Bomb

So the oxyturbo weld kit disposables are 110 litres?  Are ye 100% sure? If ye are then ye've blown the lid off this whole thing making it super cheap (bar the fixed flow regulator) Awesome!

I was in touch with an ebay seller before about these lads below: (is this the same as yours CH?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxy-Turbo-Oxygen-Disposable-Gas-Cylinder/161063167235?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D9155680382373718151%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D130904157295%26

16.50 GBP is the best they can do on shipping.  I cant find any online seller in Ireland selling them. Plumb shop here in Galway has the whole kit for 150e but no refills.

Re: the price difference between the oxyfit & oxyturbo: One is medical grade oxygen & has the whole sports/well being angle. The other is welders oxygen & aimed at tradesmen.

Ciderhead

I am still looking for in line filters such as these guys,
http://morebeer.com/products/sanitary-filter.html?a_aid=homebrewing
probably not necessary and nothing grows in pure 02 and it beats the nasties I was paddle drilling in before from my shed!
Don't forget 0.5 diffuser, aquarium diffusers just blow the whole lot out of the bottle I tried  :( , I bought this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diffusion-Aeration-OXYGEN-STONE-5-Micron-Homebrew-Beer-Brewing-Wort-1-or-2-Pack-/280866354728?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:IE:3160
Welding supplier http://www.wholesaleweldingsupplies.ie/ an online supplier only based in dublin are Oxybar agents but still haven't come back to me somebody else give them a go they may get the message they may be interested if we were looking for a job lot of say 10, I'd go another for a GB even though I can still get them in NI.
I asked them for prices on the valve and reg, even knowing I paid 20stg each in the North

Hop Bomb

Ive got a kit already. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130892097368&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
The regulator doesnt fit the oxy bottles though.

Im still waiting on prices from oxyfit on the fixed flow regulators. They do 2 LPM fixed regs so you could use their reg & the oxyturbo bottles.

I just rang Wholesale Welding Supplies & they said they'd do a discount on bulk buys. Their sales guy is gona call me back. Asked for prices on the regs aswell. 

You could also use the oxyturbo reg & just use one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-5LPM-Air-Oxygen-Rotameter-Flow-Meter-Flowmeter-/150967186248?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2326587348  in line to regulate your lpm.