• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:31:57 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

110L Oxygen tank & 0.5 lpm regulator:

Started by Hop Bomb, June 14, 2013, 04:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vonHolt

Just a heads up - Oxygen used for welding is not the same (clean/sterile) as medical oxygen. Welding Oxygen won't have the same level of filtering as medical. Not sure of the exact differences and how that relates to using welding oxygen with beer.

Used to be a welder (a long long time ago) and remember this fact cause it was almost beaten into us, especially when caught taking a couple of blasts on a Monday morning after a weekend on the rip.

Fermenting: nada
Conditioning: zip
Drinking: Hacked Muntons Premium Lager kit with Saaz Hops, Chocolate Maple Porter
To Brew: Bruxelles Blonde, Summer Wheat, Jalapeno Saison, Mouten Kop, Bavarienfest

Hop Bomb

Quote from: Ciderhead on July 19, 2013, 12:52:19 AM
My number 12 post was about right then if you allow 80-90% transmission rate :)

Whats the flow rate on your regulator when open full blast?  If you know that then yeah you could roughly gauge your lpm by opening the reg half way or whatever.

@ VonHolt:  Its fine. Most homebrewers are using welders oxygen. Shiny here did a petri dish test of open air when bottling etc & you'd be surprised whats floating around the air we breath. Welders oxygen is defo more pure & a cleaner way to aerate. Medical oxygen is expensive (the medical oxyfit bottle is 85 GBP compared with the welders oxyturbo which is 20e)
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Hop Bomb

Idea:  We could buy one of those cheap flow meters from ebay china & an extra tank of the oxyturbo. Then we could calibrate each oxyturbo regulator to an agreed LPM. Mark it with a sharpie or something. Cheaper than buying a fixed flow reg or everyone buying the ebay flow meter.

Will_D

How to measure flow rate without a flow meter:

Fill 1 litre plastic bottle with water.

Fill kitchen sink with cold water.

Put thumb over bottle, invert and place in sink. You now have a bottle full of water upside down in the sink!

Stick the oxygen tube into neck of bottle and time how long it takes to fill bottle.

Simples
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

Shane Phelan

Quote from: Hop Bomb on July 19, 2013, 09:55:24 AM
Quote from: Ciderhead on July 19, 2013, 12:52:19 AM
My number 12 post was about right then if you allow 80-90% transmission rate :)

Whats the flow rate on your regulator when open full blast?  If you know that then yeah you could roughly gauge your lpm by opening the reg half way or whatever.

@ VonHolt:  Its fine. Most homebrewers are using welders oxygen. Shiny here did a petri dish test of open air when bottling etc & you'd be surprised whats floating around the air we breath. Welders oxygen is defo more pure & a cleaner way to aerate. Medical oxygen is expensive (the medical oxyfit bottle is 85 GBP compared with the welders oxyturbo which is 20e)

I will do the same test again with the oxygen by letting it flow for a minute directly onto a petri dish. Should give us a fair idea of what's in it.  :)
Brew Log

Hop Bomb

Wholesale Welding Supplies rang & gave me their best price:

Regulators @ 23e all in
Oxygen @ 19.50e all in
Delivery for 1 box (no matter how many bottles/regs) @ 5.95e

Shane Phelan

Brew Log

Dr Jacoby

Brilliant. Well I'm definitely up for this. I'd also like to get a flow meter. This is the cheapest I have been able to find so far.

Every little helps

Shane Phelan

Where did everyone get their aeration stone? I'm thinking the stainless steel ones are superior to the ceramic ones?

Edit: Its payday this week for me and I'm sure I'm not the only one.  ;)
Brew Log

Hop Bomb

Think Il buy one of those flow meters too. Good find!

These are 137 bar so going off WillD the bottles should have 137 litres in them?

I got my .5  SS stone here:  http://www.homebrewstuff.com/diffusion-stone-5-micron.html

Hop & Grape do a 2 micron SS stone here:   http://hopandgrape.co.uk/public/detailv1.asp?itemcode=STA20069953

Dr Jacoby

I bought this bad boy not too long ago and had a friend bring it back to Ireland (they don't ship internationally). I don't think anywhere else does a similar all-in-one stainless set-up, but there are versions where the air stone is connected to tubing. Morebeer do one I think?

I've read that it can be tricky to keep the airstone submerged with soft tubing during oxygenation but I suppose you could use stiffer tubing. In fact, I think I might be robbing that idea from someone I talked to at the Alltech convention over the weekend. Ciderhead maybe?
Every little helps

Dr Jacoby

Quote from: Hop Bomb on July 22, 2013, 09:39:30 AM
Wholesale Welding Supplies rang & gave me their best price:

Regulators @ 23e all in
Oxygen @ 19.50e all in
Delivery for 1 box (no matter how many bottles/regs) @ 5.95e

Is this a group buy price? Myself and Shiny are brewing a monster beer this weekend and it would be great to have the ability to oxygenate it properly. If those prices are for NHC buyers (but not for a group buy) then I might go ahead and get mine straight away. Otherwise I'll hold on for everybody else.
Every little helps

Hop Bomb

Ive got my stone & tubing inside a stainless spear I removed from a keg. Stiffer tubing would work also. You could weigh it down with a stainless nut/bolt? The wand is a much more elegant solution though.

Dr Jacoby

Quote from: Hop Bomb on July 22, 2013, 10:51:21 AM
Ive got my stone & tubing inside a stainless spear I removed from a keg.

Very clever! Nice solution
Every little helps