• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 02:55:35 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First time smoking meat : need advice

Started by Acott, August 25, 2016, 10:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acott

Hey guys, I'm on the hunt for some advice,

I plan on smoking some meat but I'm a complete newb. I've watched a ton of youtube videos and picked up what I could but I'm thinking of cheating a little .

Is it be possible to smoke a brisket for 2 hours, wrap it, then move it to the oven for the remaining 9 or so hours at a low heat? 

Also, I don't own a smoker yet, was looking to spend €100 - €150, any recommendations?

ronniedeb

I've done this with Pork Shoulder and Ribs, so dont see why it would be a problem. You wouldnt want smoke on it for much more than 2 hours anyway.

Acott

Nice one, I think my major concern is being able to keep the correct temp over 9 hours in a cheap smoker,
also I've no cover in my back garden and we all know what the Irish weather is like!

eanna

I have a big poppa smokers diy kit but the homebrew mania one looks attractive too. I havnt tried brisket because of the time commitment, but 9 hours seems short from what I've read online.

helmet

Quote from: Acott on August 26, 2016, 08:34:36 AM
Nice one, I think my major concern is being able to keep the correct temp over 9 hours in a cheap smoker,
also I've no cover in my back garden and we all know what the Irish weather is like!
Well Aidan, if you go with homebrewmania I work in Balbriggan where they're based, so could pick it up for you.

danger_zone

Have you tried building one Aidan. I remember watching  Jaime Oliver show and his mate Jimmy built one for about €60 euro. There's also a few YouTube videos for building simple ones using terracotta garden pots I think
fermenting - peach wheat, mango wheat

drinking - whiskey stout

Pheeel

Issues with your membership? PM me!

irish_goat

Just steal a filing cabinet from the office.  :D

Acott

I seen these bradley smokers, table top job for €250 - more than I wanted to spend, though very tempting! As it's very handy and you could smoke in your house!

https://www.donedeal.ie/hobbies-for-sale/bradley-food-smoking-equipment/8245690

Quote from: eanna on August 26, 2016, 10:23:03 AM
I havnt tried brisket because of the time commitment, but 9 hours seems short from what I've read online.

Yeah I think 12 hours or something, it's just keeping the temp for that long is my worry

Quote from: helmet on August 26, 2016, 11:32:55 AM
Well Aidan, if you go with homebrewmania I work in Balbriggan where they're based, so could pick it up for you.

Cheers Dan, It's very tempting, looks like a good job...wish I could find out more about it!

lordstilton

If your gonna smoke it then finish in the oven try get it three ours on the smoker..most advice out there is the meat will not take on any more smoke flavour after three hours...go easy on the wood...you dont want it to taste of bonfire...i usually put three chunks in first hour and one every hour for three hours after that...if using mesquite only put two in the first hour..its got a strong flavour

Hop Bomb

http://bigpoppasmokers.co.uk/

Ive built two of those. Epic. Hold temp like a champ & very efficient on charcoal. Deadly for overnight smoking as they dont need any babysitting.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.