• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 11:03:28 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Newbie Single Vessel DIY BIAB project - advice/guidance needed

Started by 4beer, July 04, 2017, 09:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4beer

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of gathering the equipment I need for a DIY single vessel BIAB project and I'm looking for guidance and also any suggestions you may have.

1) I just purchased a 30L Cygnet hot water urn. I need to change the tap on it. Is it ok to use a brass fitting for the bulkhead attachment?

2) I have seen a false bottom on some of the youtube videos I have looked at. Its a shallow s/steel dome with lots of small holes in it and a hole for a fitting in the centre. Can anyone advise where I can get one?

3) I want to use a re-circulation pump to recirculate the wort. I have seen people use small aquarium pumps and others using expensive pumps. It seems most are 12V DC. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced pump that will do the job?

4) Can anyone recommend a good BIAB bag for the brew?

5) My set-up will be located in my man-shed and I will be using a hose to get water to it. Is there such thing as a food grade garden hose or should I buy a hose specifically for my water supply?

6) I plan to buy a pre-prepared kit for my first brew. I am interested in doing either a pale or red ale. Any suggestions on what kit I should try?

7) With a 30L vessel what size brew can I expect to achieve?

I am sure I will have more questions but I think that's enough for the mean time! :)

Also, very happy to hear advice/suggestions based on experience.

Dave

Gerryjo

Quote from: 4beer on July 04, 2017, 09:52:48 PM
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of gathering the equipment I need for a DIY single vessel BIAB project and I'm looking for guidance and also any suggestions you may have.

1) I just purchased a 30L Cygnet hot water urn. I need to change the tap on it. Is it ok to use a brass fitting for the bulkhead attachment?

2) I have seen a false bottom on some of the youtube videos I have looked at. Its a shallow s/steel dome with lots of small holes in it and a hole for a fitting in the centre. Can anyone advise where I can get one?

3) I want to use a re-circulation pump to recirculate the wort. I have seen people use small aquarium pumps and others using expensive pumps. It seems most are 12V DC. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced pump that will do the job?

4) Can anyone recommend a good BIAB bag for the brew?

5) My set-up will be located in my man-shed and I will be using a hose to get water to it. Is there such thing as a food grade garden hose or should I buy a hose specifically for my water supply?

6) I plan to buy a pre-prepared kit for my first brew. I am interested in doing either a pale or red ale. Any suggestions on what kit I should try?

7) With a 30L vessel what size brew can I expect to achieve?

I am sure I will have more questions but I think that's enough for the mean time! :)

Also, very happy to hear advice/suggestions based on experience.

Dave
Hi Dave, I just converted mine recently and you can get the complete tap from eBay though replace the o-rings with ½ tap washers and seal with either food grade or aquarium grade silicone and let it cure for at least 24 hours before testing.
I calibrated mine last night and brewed with it today using to heat my sparge and strike water as well as boiling wort for two brews.
Excellent piece of kit.

Gerry

Gerryjo

Oh and 27 litres is your max with around 4 litres boil off over the hour.

Gerry

4beer

Gerry,

Thanks a lot for your response. It is really helpful.  I had not even thought of calibrating the boiler but its a great idea and will definitely do it.

I hope you don't mind a few more questions.

1) Re the s/o valve, is this similar to package you bought?

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-1-2-Stainless-Steel-Weldless-Ball-Valve-Barb-Home-Brew-Beer-Kettle-Kit-/162510902110?hash=item25d667935e:g:tq4AAOSwfRdZETLi

2) Re the recirc pump, I see there are 12V and 5V versions available online.

-I see yours is a 5V pump - how do you power it?
-Is there a particular reason you did not go for the 12V?
-When recirculating do you submerge the pump in the boiler? if not what is your pump supply set-up?

3) The digital temp display unit sitting on top of the tank. Can you let me know who makes these and the source? 

Quote from: Gerryjo on July 04, 2017, 10:24:27 PM
Oh and 27 litres is your max with around 4 litres boil off over the hour

This is really helpful info! Many thanks.

Dave

Gerryjo

The valve is identical but this is cheaper
Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262802827483

The thermometers have gone up in price but here's a good deal
Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311761552695

The pumps I got too experiment with are usb powered and can either be submersed or inline by connecting with silicone hoses but be sure to clip them on with a spring clip or a jubilee clip.
Unfortunately the ones I have managed to get have soared in price as they had a working temperature of 100° and were only a couple of quid but if you search eBay you may find ones with a similar specification as below.

Gerry

4beer

Gerryjo

Just noticed your post on HBF and wondering if your local as I'm in Derry.

Gerry

Gerryjo

Quote from: 4beer on July 05, 2017, 12:22:37 PM
Unfortunately not Gerry. I'm in Dublin.
Well you should be in good hands in that neck of the woods as there are plenty of accomplished brewer's around you.

Gerry

johnrm

I have an Ardbir kit if you're interested.
Cost about EUR100, yours for EUR50 if you sort postage or pickup.

https://goo.gl/vp8WFr

4beer

Hi John,

Probably a bit early for me to be honest.

Thanks for the offer anyway.

Video not working by the way.

Dave

Will_D

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

johnrm