• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 01:22:08 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] St Peter's Cream Stout 3.0kg Kit

Started by Garry, January 01, 2014, 07:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB_Phil

Cheers Eoin, but must be the ships web, but only HBC link works for me. Want to get an order in soon so its there when I get home. Think this & a Porter Maybe for this time home ;D

Joe Rocket

Does anyone have any word on how this un is working out?? Payday soon...hacked coopers original stout or one of these?  :)

Garry

Confession time; I haven't bottled this yet. It's still in primary  :-[

But the other night, I was making a stew. So I went out to the garage for a bottle of stout to add to the stew. I didn't have any, some bastard must have drank my stock! So I got a pint glass and filled it from the FV of this stout. I had a little sup of course. It had a teeny bit of carbonation in it so I got out my ghetto nitro system and gave it a blast of head. I ended up drinking 1/2 the pint. Lovely stuff, even straight from the FV.

The rest of the pint went into the stew, which turned out quite well too  :)

Damofto

What that "Ghetto Nitro system" you speak of Garry?
That looks like a nice pint.

Garry

Quote from: Damofto on February 21, 2014, 04:15:21 PM
What that "Ghetto Nitro system" you speak of Garry?
That looks like a nice pint.

As LE says, it's just a syringe. More info here.

It was a nice pint too, straight from the FV! Better get it bottled soon.

Damofto

That's great Thanks lads, I will try that.

benji

Mmm what are we waiting 7-8 weeks and its not even bottled yet, tut tut, this was a raffle kit am I right, we should have the full review by now. Don't mean to be an ass but I'm waiting on ya to see if I'm gonna buy it or not. I'm gonna buy a stout kit next week do you reckon this beats Coopers Irish Stout
Tapped: Brown Porter, Dortmunder, Rye IPA
Bottled: Barrel RIS, Barrel Red Flanders, Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Barrel triple, NEIPA
Planned: Pilsner, Hazy Pale Ale, something Belgian

Garry

Quote from: benji on February 21, 2014, 08:57:24 PM
Mmm what are we waiting 7-8 weeks and its not even bottled yet, tut tut, this was a raffle kit am I right, we should have the full review by now. Don't mean to be an ass but I'm waiting on ya to see if I'm gonna buy it or not. I'm gonna buy a stout kit next week do you reckon this beats Coopers Irish Stout

I'm getting whipped now :P This long in primary is borderline beer abuse?

From the little taste I've had of this one, it's definitely fuller than the coopers. But the coppers has more bitterness. You can't go wrong with either kit, they all have lovely bottoms  :P

Ciderhead

That's not fair you are being an ass as long as the review gets done in a reasonable time frame I wouldn't start throwing stones.

6 weeks in primary though G yeach!

benji

Well done CH you got to insult 2 peps in one post, sorry Gary didn't mean to offend but I was genuinely following this review since you started it as I want to make a brew for my Guinness drinking Step Dad and this looked like a good brew going by other reviews

Joe Rocket

Wow, just checked back there! Cheers for the update Garry...now....is it full bodied from 7 weeks in primary, or just cuz? :) I remember a lot of ones saying the coopers original was fit to be drunk from the fv too...within 2 weeks! To hell with the plumbing!
If it's a bit less bitter than the Coopers I reckon I'll give it a go...I'd like to coffee it up, thicken it up, and creamify it too though! Any thoughts? Still trying to move it toward that Caledonian Double Dark...

benji

I was thinking of doing a bit of experimenting and by hacking this to a chocolate milk stout, was thinking of steeping 150g of chocolate grain then fermenting with 500g of dark spray malt,500g of lactose and 300g of  Tesco "Milk Chocolate Dessert Sauce" . then whilst bottling adding some a wee bit of "littlePod pure chocolate extract"

Ciderhead

Quote from: benji on February 21, 2014, 10:54:51 PM
Well done CH you got to insult 2 peps in one post, sorry Gary didn't mean to offend but I was genuinely following this review since you started it as I want to make a brew for my Guinness drinking Step Dad and this looked like a good brew going by other reviews

I try, you called yourself an ass, I just confirmed it. Not polite to bust a guys balls just coz he is 3 or 4 weeks late with a review.  Garry knows me better. None of the reviewers work or get paid by the NHC so not fair to be busting their chops on timelines. Rules state if it doesn't get done recipient gets struck off.

Maybe Raffle Boss wants to comment but I see it working pretty well at the moment, still waiting for semi-clad "brewers wives" in pictures to spice them up a bit though!