• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 23, 2024, 02:50:34 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Yeast pitched at wrong temp

Started by DCLavs, September 18, 2014, 10:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCLavs

Haven't brewed in approx. a year...have a few kits sitting about and thought I'd get one up and running.Went for Muntons Gold Imperial Stout...everything was going great and I'm thinking why don't I do this more often :) came to pitching the yeast and in it went...realised then I hadn't checked the temp...when I did it came in at 33°C...the instructions say to pitch between 18-21°C...is the brew ruined?...I don't even have any other viable yeast apart from the packet that came with a St. Peters Cream Stout kit...should I wait for the temp to drop then pitch this?

johnrm

That's a bummer, it's pretty high and could hurt the yeast, I'd say pitch the second pack when the temps settle. A pack of yeast is cheaper than a wasted kit.
Use less boiling water with the next kit...

LordEoin

It might be fine if you got the temperature down quickly.
leave it for 24hours or so to see if it starts to kick off, and if not then consider pitching the spare.

DCLavs

Just had a look and it's bubbled up to the top which I'm guessing is a good sign.Might be alright.

irish_goat

I've spare yeast here if you're stuck as well.

DCLavs

Thank you...hopefully I'm ok now.It looks like it's kicked off anyway.You'll see me at the Craft Village on Sunday if I'm stuck :)

Must make myself up a check list.Seems that every brew I do I forget something :)

Gonna give BIAB a go once I do the remaining kits I have.

LordEoin

Quote from: DCLavs on September 19, 2014, 01:23:16 PM
Just had a look and it's bubbled up to the top which I'm guessing is a good sign.Might be alright.
You should be fine so, just keep the temperature around the 18-20 mark for the rest of its time and you'll be grand
Hopefully you won't have thrown too much weirdness into it :)

irish_goat

Quote from: DCLavs on September 19, 2014, 01:49:50 PM
Thank you...hopefully I'm ok now.It looks like it's kicked off anyway.You'll see me at the Craft Village on Sunday if I'm stuck :)

Happy days, you can help out with the brewing too sure.  :P

DCLavs

Quote from: irish_goat on September 19, 2014, 04:10:45 PM
Quote from: DCLavs on September 19, 2014, 01:49:50 PM

Happy days, you can help out with the brewing too sure.  :P

;D Unfortunately I won't be able to make.Would have loved to.Was at the first one in the Derry City Social Club.