• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 12, 2024, 11:50:42 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

IPA Hop Sediment in Fermenter

Started by ColmOM, February 09, 2014, 10:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColmOM

I brewed a version of this recipe ( http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,29.msg141.html#msg141 ) today and I'm wondering if the amount of hop sediment in it is normal? Had fierce trouble getting a decent flow from  the boiler to fermenter even though I have a hop strainer in the boiler. Now there appears to be a fair bit of sediment in the fermenter so I'm worried it'll end up in the bottles? Is it a case that it'll just settle out or will I have to transfer it to a secondary fermenter first?

Ciderhead

Are you sure its not just cold break, did you totally drain your boiler?
Put the lot into secondary if you are worried.

ColmOM

I got the full 23 litres out of it with plenty trub left in it, so it was drained as much as possible. I'll give it a day or too and see how things settle out.

irish_goat

How long do you leave it between cooling and draining the fermenter? I always listened to the "pitch your  yeast asap (once cooled)" advice and had the same problem but I found that if I did a whirlpool and left the wort in the kettle for around 30 mins I would get a much better flow and leave a lot more trub behind.

As an extra you can strain the wort using a sanitised sieve or hop bag as it leaves the kettle too.

ColmOM

I was the same with the pitching ASAP after cooling approach - once I had it cooled down I started straight away because I was worried about infection. Depending on how the trub settles out I might move it into secondary after two weeks or could I just sieve when moving to the bottling bucket?

Ciderhead

Hop debris and cold break as thats what I suspect it is will have settled long before them, has fermentation started?

ColmOM

Yup it's a nice vigorous one too  :) I just hope that the debris won't clog the tap in it

ColmOM

Right, I've just taken the first hydrometer reading and it seems a bit much after only starting fermentation on Sunday. On Sunday the OG was 1.070 and today it's 1.008. My original calculations estimated the final gravity would be a more around 1.020. Not sure if I should intervene or not?!  :(