• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:05:24 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BarrelO'Rebel II.II- Return of the Rebel

Started by Dr Horrible, December 26, 2017, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

Dr Horrible

Quote from: Cambrinus on January 31, 2018, 06:45:07 PM
@ dr Horrible I didn't realise you'd actually brewed a batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, like I said I like both recipes so going to do them both regardless of which goes into the barrel. So will do the Courage RIS as well but maybe not straight away, depends on what the consensus is.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BrewDorg

I will have to get a keg down for emptying the barrel. Are we doing the imperial porter next so? Using Dr.H's recipe?

Bzfeale80

Any idea when the emptying/refilling of barrel will happen? I haven't seen anything in group or WhatsApp in a while.

Dr Horrible

We seem to be stuck on what's going to go in to replace it. Would there be any interest in a meet up and we could discuss? We're due one anyway. Next Friday maybe?

dcalnan

Yeah I'm up for a meet, need the spark to start brewing again.

johnrm

I'm up for Friday.
Abbots? I can be there from 6 to 9:30 or so.

mr hoppy

March 07, 2018, 08:02:27 PM #52 Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:55:42 PM by mr hoppy
+1

I can bring along the lager I did with Eamonn's LODO stuff. Didn't turn out too bad actually.

Cambrinus

I'll try to make it too. I have a simple pale ale I can bring in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SkiBeagle

How did the Devonshire Street Bunfight go? Was there white smoke at the meet, and a recipe decided?
Very sorry I missed the meet.

johnrm

It went well.
Its a good spot, though the table arrangement is awkward.
We really need to book upstairs for meets, that means planning which we don't seem to do this far south.  :o

The Imp Porter was good.
I just looked at the recipe and see there is about 21% Rye (including Chocolate rye)
Maybe that was what I picked up on Friday. Either that or Ferm temp.

I think just go with it.

Lets get the list closed this week so we can order/brew.

Dr Horrible

March 13, 2018, 10:59:40 PM #56 Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:38:53 PM by Dr Horrible
Upstairs to ourselves would be great, we'd be able to actually hear the feedback!

Tweaked the receipe a bit, open to suggestions (also would like to figure how to post a damn screenshot)

Odensholm  (For 20L with Efficiency of 70%)
6.25 kg MCI Ale Malt (13.8 EBC)  72.3 %
1.00 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) 11.6 %
0.50 kg Carafa II (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC)  5.8 %
0.40 kg Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.6 EBC)  4.6 %
0.40 kg Special B Malt (354.6 EBC)  4.6 %
40.00 g Hallertau Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 54.6 IBUs
0.10 kg Dememera Sugar [Boil for 30 min](3.9 EBC) 1.2 %
20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min 0.0 IBUs
2.0 x US05 (2.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] )
Mash Temp - 68degC

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.086 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.2 %
Bitterness: 54.6 IBUs
Est Color: 102.4 EBC

Toned the rye down, because I don't think whatever you picked up John was due to ferm temp, had that pretty well under control for the batch - it was really lively though and Daire picked up a lot of esters so maybe Nottingham isn't the best choice and a cleaner yeast like US-05 or the San Diego Super Yeast like the original recipe recommended is the way to go

So, let's start that list

1.  Dr Horrible  20L at O.G 1.086

mr hoppy

Why notty? The original had US05 and Tom seemed to think notty might have been driving some of the funkier flavours johnrm ided.

Dr Horrible

I went with Notty because I think it does well in stouts/porters, it does well in attenuating big beers and most importantly because I had two packs of it in my fridge at the time of brewing!
I liked the flavours but think that with that yeast and all the rye there was a bit too much going on, so yeah, US 05 would be fine.

johnrm