• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:38:32 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BarrelO'Rebel II.II- Return of the Rebel

Started by Dr Horrible, December 26, 2017, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamek.pl

hmm I know that I,m not in, but theres no mashing temp. in this recipe (or I missed).
Big difference in beers if you mash in 62 or 68 degrees  :-\

Cambrinus

I would not dismiss the rye straight off. The porter needs to mature for several months and the flavours will mellow. The spicy notes of the rye gives nice dimension to the porter IMHO.
On the yeast I agree. Even though there will be plenty of yeast left in the barrel possibly impacting the flavour profile during 'barrelling '.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dr Horrible

Quote from: Shamek.pl on March 14, 2018, 03:45:56 PM
hmm I know that I,m not in, but theres no mashing temp. in this recipe (or I missed).
Mash temp 68degC.  It was in the original receipe posted.  Updated my last post to include now.

Shamek.pl

Quote from: Dr Horrible on March 14, 2018, 09:40:36 PM
Quote from: Shamek.pl on March 14, 2018, 03:45:56 PM
Mash temp 68degC.  It was in the original receipe posted.  Updated my last post to include now.
OMG... beer will be so sweet

Wysłane z mojego SM-G950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Dr Horrible

I was worried about it being sweet as well especially because the original recipe didn't specify IBU but I think the 55IBU works well and it doesn't come across as particularly sweet.
Franz, are you thinking of going back to 2kg rye?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Shamek.pl

I have experience with high ABV beers, and even if mashed in 64-62 degrees theres still a lot of not fermented sugars.
IMHO drop down mashing tempreatures. My Belgian Dark Ale 13% Abv was mashed in 62 I presume, and whoever tried can confirm is sttill sweet as hell  ;)

Cambrinus

March 15, 2018, 11:31:52 AM #66 Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:37:44 PM by Cambrinus
@ Jason -- I think the rye will add that spicyness to counteract the possibility of residual sweetness. Also using US05 will attenuate fairly well. Maybe mash a little lower at 66C?
Majority rules, if rye is out I go with that. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dr Horrible

Quote from: Shamek.pl on March 15, 2018, 11:05:13 AM
I have experience with high ABV beers, and even if mashed in 64-62 degrees theres still a lot of not fermented sugars.
IMHO drop down mashing tempreatures. My Belgian Dark Ale 13% Abv was mashed in 62 I presume, and whoever tried can confirm is sttill sweet as hell  ;)
Sorry Shamek, wasn't connecting the name to the face - I had your Belgian Dark Strong on Friday, really liked it.  You had a sample of my batch of the Porter on Friday as well, not sure what you thought about it, but it attenuated out ok and I don't think is overly sweet.  One of the reasons I went for the Nottingham at the time was it's ability to attenuate out well, but I think US-05 would probably do that as well.   I checked my notes and I was probably more around the 66-67deg range for the mash, so could drop the mash temp to 66 as Cambrinus suggested.
Also, as was pointed out, you have to remember once all the batches go into the barrel fermentation continues for a good while after as the strongest yeast tends to work on the batches that aren't quite finished. We had a lot of batches around the 1.020 mark for the Nogne 100, and we're down to about 1.014 now, the barrel kept bubbling away for a couple of months.  So Cambrinus's point about the rye smoothing out with time also makes sense, it might be we only need to use a cleaner yeast.

BrewDorg

Must drop an empty keg down for the emptying. Anyone around Cork this weekend? Will be down myself.

Do we have any target for when we'll all have the next brew done by? Must plan the weekend for it

johnrm

If you're in Midleton drop it to my gaff?

BrewDorg

dcalnan

Quote from: BrewDorg on March 28, 2018, 12:35:37 PM
Sounds good, I'll PM you there.

Your empty keg should still be down with the barrel from filling.

BrewDorg

Quote from: dcalnan on March 28, 2018, 06:05:03 PM
Quote from: BrewDorg on March 28, 2018, 12:35:37 PM
Sounds good, I'll PM you there.

Your empty keg should still be down with the barrel from filling.

John kindly dropped it back to my parents place a while back so I need to drop it down again.

johnrm

6 months sitting empty?
It would need sanitising.
Traffic here is low - I think a WA thread on Empty/New fill would be useful.

Dr Horrible

If I remember right, that keg had a gas fitting on the beer out post as well, might want to change that out before filling.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk