• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 08:35:35 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Kegging Coopers Canadian Blonde Brewed with Coopers Brew Inhancer 2

Started by jonos2002, August 30, 2016, 11:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonos2002

Hello Folks
                 First time brewing and I'm Currently fermenting A Coopers Canadian Blonde Brewed with Coopers Brew Inhancer 2 and plan to put in into a Corney keg and have just a couple of questions;

1) do I need to do a second fermentation after the recommended 6/7 days or can I rack it to my Keg?

2) do I need to add priming sugar to the keg or can I just connect the co2 and purge as specified in YouTube videos?

And I appolagise in advance for these amature questions in advance?

Cheers
Jonos2002

johnrm

Hey Jonos2002,

Welcome to the forum!

1. You don't need a second fermentation but best to wait for Final gravity to settle out. If 3 readings over 3 days remain the same then you're good to go. (careful transferring - to reduce oxygen pickup put some CO2 into keg just before filling.
2. Force carbing will work best if you can chill while carbing. If you can do this you don't need priming sugar.

I have heard of poor results force carbing at ambient temps -  if no chilling is possible you may need to consider priming - I will let someone else confirm this.

jonos2002

Well my plan is to chill using a beer line cooler which I have in my bar already so the keg would be kept at ambient temp and ran through a 2 tap cooler twice to cool it on the way to the tap if you know what I mean?

johnrm

I meant...
If you have a spare fridge, chill the keg to 6C or so.
Set reg to 15PSI and forget for a week.
Force carbing works best at lower temps.

jonos2002

My issue is I have no refrigeration big enough to take my Corney keg so I would have to carbonate at room temp so what would you recommend in this situation should I use priming sugar or can I beef up the co2 psi to carbonate it at room temp?

LordEoin

You can either make use of the warmer temperature and use it to naturally prime with sugar. You'll end up with a little more sediment.

Or just adjust the pressure for force carbonation.
here's a handy chart:

jonos2002

I think I'll go with the force carb option so thanks for the advise gents it's much appreciated.

johnrm