• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:15:09 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Heat belt melt!

Started by garciaBernal, July 28, 2016, 09:34:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garciaBernal

So I used my Ritchies heat belt on a fermenter smaller than I should have and had parts overlapping. Stupid I know. Some small bits of the plastic has melted away exposing the heating wires beneath. Is there a way to salvage this or am I looking at a new heat belt?
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

Leann ull

Bin it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garciaBernal

Will need it over the weekend before a new one arrives though. Any kind of patch job possible for a few days?
"If you do not enjoy my beer, then I say it is a pity for you!" Armand DeBelder-Drie Fonteinen

auralabuse

Its not advisable at all to use or patch that now. Its a fire hazard. Where are you located, I'm sure someone couple lend you one short-term

nigel_c

What are you brewing that you need a heat belt with the weather we're having at the moment?

garciaBernal

Maintaining high 30's on a kettle soured IPA. Need to keep my lacto happy for a few days. Just don't want it to drop too low. The last few nights were not exactly kick off the bedsheet warm. Get er brewed will have one for me tomorrow.  :)

nigel_c

If it's an electric boiler, a few seconds of power does the job .

garciaBernal

Not when I'm fast asleep or away for a few days. Running the heat belt through an stc.

Leann ull

July 28, 2016, 12:58:00 PM #8 Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 01:16:51 PM by CH
take a picture and post it
they are 240V and its really not worth the risk of duck tape, they contact together from further melting and its curtains for you your house the neighbours house.....
HBW are flogging them for 20 at the mo not worth the risk.
I'm not sure its even safe to run them on 100% on all the time using an stc
id be looking at an old fridge with heater bar longer term if you want that sort of temp.

molc

Reiterate what others are saying - throw it out and don't even consider using it. Dodgy electrics are a sure fire way to die.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

garciaBernal

Don't fret lads I won't use it but here it is in all its glory. No actual electronics exposed but I'll bin it so I'll live to brew another day.

Leann ull

no disrespect but that looks like a shit one in any case  :(
The resistance wire still looks intact, but the shitty PVC outer covering or sheath looks like its melted in a couple of spots   :o
You would probably get away with it but personally I wouldnt risk it, have you had it used it long?, return to the vendor!

garciaBernal

Quote from: CH on July 28, 2016, 01:48:15 PM
no disrespect but that looks like a shit one in any case  :(
The resistance wire still looks intact, but the shitty PVC outer covering or sheath looks like its melted in a couple of spots   :o
You would probably get away with it but personally I wouldnt risk it, have you had it used it long?, return to the vendor!

Yeah the wire itself is still intact. It's kinda my own fault for overlapping it inadvertently so won't return it. It's flimsy and it is only the outer layer that peeled off. Electronics safe and sound. I won't use it though.

garciaBernal

When I used it correctly I never had a problem with it! Maybe have it a year and used it 20 times without issue.