• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:55:55 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Anyone around Dundalk that might have a spare lager yeast?

Started by bazbart, December 27, 2018, 12:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bazbart

Hi all,

Bit of a long shot but is there anyone in the Dundalk area that might have a lager (or similar) yeast going spare. Happy to buy it off you. Did a brew yesterday and pitched a wyeast. After 24 hours still no bubbles in my fermenter. Tried raising the temp a bit to see if that would activate it but no joy. Last resort to add new yeast.

Thanks for reading!

Barry

helmet

I've a slant of California Common yeast, you'd need to build it up is the only thing.
Whattemperature do you have it at?

bazbart

Thanks Helmet,

It's sitting at 18 degrees. Wonder should I raise it a bit though. Here are you based?

bazbart

Thanks. I might give you a shout tomorrow if you don't mind. The OG has moved ever so slightly from 1.053/4 down to 1.052 over the past 24 hours. I had a look at it though and there is no krausen at all. Hoping it'll be ok. 

itsclinto

Quote from: bazbart on December 27, 2018, 12:23:23 PM
Did a brew yesterday and pitched a wyeast. After 24 hours still no bubbles in my fermenter.

I normally find that pitching straight takes a few days to get going compared to a starter (probably more so as it's fresh yeast). Might be worth waiting a bit to see if it's working.

Also never look for the bubbles as they aren't always an indication of what is happening in the fermenter. Learned the hard way myself

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

bazbart

Helmet,

Can I take you up on your offer?I can call down today if you're free?

bazbart

Just an update. Looks like I was a bit quick to dismiss the WYeast. I now have a healthy bubbling airlock. It might be the yeast tales a bit longer to start (which I can now see other people in the forum have had the same experience) or I mightn't have had the lid on tight, or a combination of both. Any way it's bubbling away happily now. Thanks again for the help. Panic averted hopefully.