• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 01:08:16 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Kveik yeast pseudo lager

Started by Bazza, June 23, 2020, 11:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazza

Hi All,

Was hoping to brew a lager/pils-type this week, but had to dump a bock yeast starter yesterday due to what I suspect was a low cell count which was causing off-flavours.

I've an embarrassment of Kveik yeast in the fridge (Voss, Hornindial & Ebbegarden) but, unlike the Ubbe strain, the specs of these all point to IPA's and NEIPA's.

I was going to just change tack and brew yet another pale/IPA, but then read of someone making a Helles style beer using the Voss strain (I think by a combination of over pitching and higher temp), so just wondering has anyone out there tried this and how did it work out?

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

delzep

Might be of some use to you, I brewed a Smithwicks clone a couple of weeks ago with a full pack of dry Voss fermented at 25c with no yeast flavours. Wanted a bland red ale and got it.

Bazza

Quote from: delzep on June 23, 2020, 02:14:59 PMMight be of some use to you, I brewed a Smithwicks clone a couple of weeks ago with a full pack of dry Voss fermented at 25c with no yeast flavours. Wanted a bland red ale and got it.

Hah. Thanks for the info :)

What also kinda piqued my interest was when making a yeast starter with the Voss strain a while back, using second runnings from a lager I'd previously brewed; basically some low abv, unhopped pils wort. I took a taste of the wort after decanting it off the yeast and found it tasted surprisingly of Bud or Miller i.e. the bland and inoffensive taste you describe above. So, I figured that with a few hops and the right combination of malts I could do a reasonably passable 'pils' or 'Helles', strictly for personal consumption in the hot weather.

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

TheSumOfAllBeers

It can often be hard work to get the kveik yeasts to express themselves. i.e. you typically have to brew hot, and under pitch (even by kveik standards). The corollary then is that by doing a healthy pitch, or pitching onto a previous yeast cake, and taking the temp down to at least belgian ale temps, you can stop the expression of the noted esters and get something appropriate for making lager styles/blonde ales etc.