• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 21, 2024, 12:32:28 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Carbonation temp

Started by Oh Crap, May 01, 2015, 01:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auralabuse

Quote from: Oh Crap on May 02, 2015, 11:30:44 AM
Hmmmm
That's a possibility although the pale malt is uncrushed weyermanns from one of the homebrew shops here but that's not to say it's not part of the problem.
I have mci lager malt ready for a lager this week and am using bottled water to see if it's a water issue ,unfortunately it'll be a while before that's ready, I was planning a stout next but I think I'll have to brew another light colour to see if I can sort this out...cheers for suggestions
My immediate thought was water alkalinity. I'm no expert but my light styles turn out soapy and dark styles are excellent. Alkaline water gives a soapy taste to lighter styles. I just brewed an ipa with treated water so if it turns out good I will let you know. At least it will prove it was the water profile

Oh Crap

Quote from: auralabuse on May 02, 2015, 08:16:05 PM
Quote from: Oh Crap on May 02, 2015, 11:30:44 AM
Hmmmm
That's a possibility although the pale malt is uncrushed weyermanns from one of the homebrew shops here but that's not to say it's not part of the problem.
I have mci lager malt ready for a lager this week and am using bottled water to see if it's a water issue ,unfortunately it'll be a while before that's ready, I was planning a stout next but I think I'll have to brew another light colour to see if I can sort this out...cheers for suggestions
My immediate thought was water alkalinity. I'm no expert but my light styles turn out soapy and dark styles are excellent. Alkaline water gives a soapy taste to lighter styles. I just brewed an ipa with treated water so if it turns out good I will let you know. At least it will prove it was the water profile
Appreciate that
Cheers
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

neoanto

I also have a question about carbonation.
I made an english brown ale and cold crashed before i bottled.
Now it about 6C when it was being bottled, and using an ap that determined how much sugar to add, (to get 1.2 volumes) it was in minus figures.
I had a taste to see if i could tell if it was carbonated and it was kind of flat.
So I ended up puttin it to 2 volumes to get some value of sugar to add for carbonation.

My question is, if i had bottled it with no sugar and then conditioned as normal, do you guys think it would have carbonated? The temperature of the beer at bottling is the big factor in whether or not the app told me to add sugar.

Pheeel

Quote from: neoanto on May 18, 2015, 11:31:07 AM
My question is, if i had bottled it with no sugar and then conditioned as normal, do you guys think it would have carbonated? The temperature of the beer at bottling is the big factor in whether or not the app told me to add sugar.

Without adding more sugar I don't think it would have carbonated if you hit your FG. Obviously if it didn't hit it's FG or there was an infection then that could change
Issues with your membership? PM me!

neoanto

I did a little bit of googling and came across this on the Brewersfriend website in regards to priming and the temperature:

* Temperature of Beer used for computing dissolved CO2:
The beer you are about to package already contains some CO2 since it is a naturally occurring byproduct of fermentation. The amount is temperature dependent. The temperature to enter is usually the fermentation temperature of the beer, but might also be the current temperature of the beer. If the fermentation temperature and the current beer temperature are the same life is simple.

However, if the beer was cold crashed, or put through a diacetyl rest, or the temperature changed for some other reason... you will need to use your judgment to decide which temperature is most representative. During cold crashing, some of the CO2 in the head space will go back into the beer. If you cold crashed for a very long time this may represent a significant increase in dissolved CO2. There is a lot of online debate about this and the internet is thin on concrete answers backed by research. We are open to improving the calculator so please let us know of any sources that clarify this point.

The equation this calculator uses to compute the amount of dissolved CO2:
CO2 In Beer = 3.0378 - (0.050062 * temp) + (0.00026555 * temp^2)

Will_D

AFAIK the solubilty of CO2 in water (or beer) is well understood in terms of solubility at certain remperatures.

Note: Pressure in the container is not part of my simple model of the eqations!

So you chill the beer to a certain temp - lets say 12C, add CO2 under pressure and once all the CO2 has disolved that's it. Increase the pressure of CO2 into the container and you just increase the pressure in the container - no more CO2 will disolve.

If you then cool it to say 2C then more CO2 disolves and the pressure in the bottle drops

Allow it to warm up to say 20C and the pressure in the bottle increase as the beer looses CO2 from solution. Open the bottle and the excess CO2 is vented.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

neoanto

I understand that if you are kegging it might be easy enough to regulate the pressure.
If you're bottling like me, its a one time thing!

molc

Well, when bottling, just measure the temp at bottling and add the appropriate sugar to the batch priming for the carbonation you want I'd assume? When you cool before serving, the co2 will just dissolve back into the beer.

For my kegs, I usually connect them to my co2 only when serving and I set the pressure to the correct co2 volume for the ambient temperature at that time. That means I'm keeping my keg at the correct target pressure at all times.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter