• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 18, 2024, 04:01:45 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

missed OG target, advice needed

Started by Oh Crap, January 31, 2015, 01:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh Crap

January 31, 2015, 01:44:21 PM Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:02:53 PM by Oh Crap
Brewed up a Belgian blonde last night
4.5 kg pail malt
.5 kg Munich
.15 kg biscuit
.1kg melanoidan
300g sugar (last 15 min of boil)

Og came in 1.039 target was 1.060 ish

Should I boil up the remains sugar and add (since I used sone already)
Or leave it alone and see what happens...it will be beer after all....

Edit...noticed I only put in 200 g sugar....that's the problem with beer drinking while making beer to drink :)
How much would 100g affect og?
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

LordEoin

My beersmith's putting that at about 50% effeciency. 100grams of sugar should only affect the OG by 1 or 2 points.
how did you mash? what was your final volume? Were there many whole grains in the grain waste?

molc

Did you do a starch test? Might just have not converted correctly...
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Oh Crap

Quote from: LordEoin on January 31, 2015, 02:32:33 PM
My beersmith's putting that at about 50% effeciency. 100grams of sugar should only affect the OG by 1 or 2 points.
how did you mash? what was your final volume? Were there many whole grains in the grain waste?
Your right about the sh1te effeciency.... Mashed in at 70 for 60 mins temp dropped to mid 50's (I think) no heat source under mash tun, an insulated keg...
Looked at the grain again there are some whole ones in there but not a whole lot (never can too sure)
Final volume was 19L
Beer

Sorcerers Apprentice

Did you mash at 70 or was your strike water at 70?
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Oh Crap

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on February 01, 2015, 09:04:01 AM
Did you mash at 70 or was your strike water at 70?

Strike was at 70...
Also, looking back, I think I sparged too quick Aswell
So here it is is....possible crush problems, Mash temp dropped too soon, forgot to add correct amount of sugar and sparging too quickly oh and enjoying TOO MANY homebrews..that might explain why my efficiency was crap...
On the bright side it is happily chugging away (used wl abbey ale) I also boiled up some sugar water (800g) and added it to the fermenter... Should raise the og by about 12pts.. It'll dry it out aswell but sure what the heck it'll be beer...
Note to self.... Next time don't over indulge on own product whilst brewing next batch :)
Beer

Sorcerers Apprentice

You'll need to check your grain temp before calculating the strike temp, especially if you grain has been stored in the shed or somewhere un heated during this cold snap, you can end up with too low a mash temperature meaning that you only have beta amylase activity and very little alpha amylase action thus reducing your conversion.
Write out your brew steps in advance on a list that way if you're sampling while brewing you don't miss anything out :-D
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Oh Crap

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on February 01, 2015, 09:50:52 AM
You'll need to check your grain temp before calculating the strike temp, especially if you grain has been stored in the shed or somewhere un heated during this cold snap,
Totally forgot about that....stores in plastic box in garage. Another error on that wonderful brew night:-? (b)
Beer

ronnieb

If it is any consolation i'm sure I have made a mess of a SMASH I was brewing on Friday due to supping whilst brewing..
I missed my OG by a bit too much than I would have liked.

Oh Crap

Quote from: ronnieb on February 02, 2015, 08:00:28 PM
If it is any consolation i'm sure I have made a mess of a SMASH I was brewing on Friday due to supping whilst brewing..
I missed my OG by a bit too much than I would have liked.

:D :D ;)
Beer