• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 01:53:26 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

2017 AJ GB Notes

Started by Will_D, November 04, 2017, 07:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mick02

Mine has settled down now. No longer have to get the kids in trouble
NHC Committee member

Lochlannach

Mine hasn't been touched since it arrived and was banished to the shed...first time leaving it alone to it's own devices...probably won't touch until Christmas or so...

ianm

Bottled one of my batches this evening. It has quite a bite to it I must say.  I am hoping it will tame with some time.  Down to .999

molc

It takes a good 12 months to mellow out usually, so I wouldn't worry about the flavour right now, as long as it doesn't taste infected.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

ianm

I don't believe it is infected just more sour than I would have expected.  It tastes similar to cider I made from Lidl cloudy apple juice in the past, the tartness didn't really subside over time.  I made cider using fresh apples and a small kitchen juicer last year and it didn't have the same bite to it.  So I am interested to see how this one will swing.  Anyone else had any sneaky samples yet?

molc

Didn't mean to imply it was infected sorry :) Last year, I kegged in January and it tasted almost rubbery and quite harsh, even to the point of slightly sour. Tried some last month and there was a wonderful apple flavour to it, with some residual sweetness even though it had fermented out dry. It's amazing how much it changes.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

pob

It takes at least 12 months to mature, ideally 18; so ready for drinking in the summer. You can try sampling to make sure everything is ok, but unless you're making cider continuously throughout the year you'll never have the taste memory to be able to compare one batch to the next when it's that young.
Currently on the 2015 & it has mellowed out, still dry with lovely apple flavour & aroma. It changes every 6 months or so as the different flavour components develop & find their place.
You need to look at it like wine not beer; it's juice, not grain, a lot longer to get to it's prime.

willk

Re the "sour" - I rack to secondary once the main fermentation has subsided - generally at 4-6 weeks.  The cider will then be left resting on the light lees (trub) that form in the hope that a decent malolactic fermentation will occur - generally at temperatures in the high teens.  My cider always sat in those FVs until May or later before bottle conditioning.  I'm not sure the longer time in a plastic FV did the overall result any favours beyond reducing acidity. I bottled earlier last spring and I preferred the fruitier freshness - but it might just have been better juice to begin with.  I understand you guys in the AJGB got a high percentage of Dabinette juice blend which should be very good with the bit of cooker juice to add acidity.  The Dab tannins will be very pronounced ATM and will mellow out over the coming year. 

cruiscinlan

Quote from: ianm on December 04, 2017, 08:50:07 AM
I don't believe it is infected just more sour than I would have expected. 

There is also malolactic fermentation which occurs after the primary fermentation, this will allow the malic acid to be fermented to lactic acid which is a 'rounder' or 'softer' acidity/sourness.

Water_Wolf

I tasted mine a few weeks ago and it was certainly astringent, but it usually is at this stage. I'd leave a cider a minimum of three months before bottling as there's a big improvement during this time. Beyond this time the improvement is not as obvious so should be grand for drinking a few bottles. Too early and it will have a bit of a 'green' flavour to it.

I've always a mind to try playing with a malolactic fermentation but have never got around to it. I wouldn't rely on one starting by itself though as there's a high chance it won't - you can buy malolactic bacteria in the home brew shops.

I'll be sweetening my cider, but if you're going the 'natural' route and your cider is still too sour after aging it, you can just add some sugar syrup to it as you're serving it.

helmet

If you were going to add wood chips, what stage would you add them at and for how long? Also, how much wood to add to a demijohn?

Water_Wolf

It doesn't really matter when you add the chips except that you'll get a different flavour if you add them during or after fermentation. Whenever you add the chips you'll have to wait a couple of months for the 'plank of chipboard' flavour to die back!

I added mine after fermentation finished and I'd racked into glass carboys. French Medium Toast. I'd have to check later how much I added - the packet should give you a rough idea anyway.

helmet

Quote from: Water_Wolf on December 04, 2017, 07:18:10 PM
It doesn't really matter when you add the chips except that you'll get a different flavour if you add them during or after fermentation. Whenever you add the chips you'll have to wait a couple of months for the 'plank of chipboard' flavour to die back!

I added mine after fermentation finished and I'd racked into glass carboys. French Medium Toast. I'd have to check later how much I added - the packet should give you a rough idea anyway.
Thanks for that, appreciate it.

Water_Wolf

According to my notes, I used 12g of chips per 5l carboy. Last year I used 7.5g per carboy and didn't think it was enough. Your tastes may differ!

bighoppapump

I have had mine sitting in primary since I got it. It fermented out fully within 2 weeks or so and I've taken a few samples with the tap since and it appears to be clearing up (tastes good though).

I've read numerous posts on AJ 101 about moving it to secondary and aging it. The recommendation seems to be use glass which I don't have so I'm looking at doing one of the following:

1. Leaving it in primary on the lees for another few months until im ready to bottle it
2. Syphoning it to another plastic fermenter and leaving it there for another couple of months before bottling
3. Bottling immediately

I've read: If I move it to another container I risk oxidation but it won't be sitting on the lees, aging in bulk is better than in bottles, plastic is a bad choice for aging in.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which option would be best?