• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 01:57:04 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Derry water

Started by DCLavs, April 14, 2020, 03:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCLavs

https://www.niwater.com/sitefiles/resources/pdf/waterquality/2019_zn0603.pdf

I've never used tap water when brewing but thinking of changing that as bottled water adds almost £6 onto the cost of a brew. I'm guessing most of us get our water from Carmoney. Could anyone give me advice on what I should add to the water? I'd be brewing stouts and IPA.

Tom

Send us a PM. I've written a document about exactly that. Meant to 'present' it at a local meet but never got round to it.

DCLavs

Brilliant. Thanks Tom.

Gerryjo

Be careful with the water as they give an estimate pH of 7.2 for corrody supplies when it's actually 6.88. I normally add 100g aciduated malt when brewing for hoppy or balanced Ales or lagers and found this brings my pH to around 5.6 depending on grain types and I've checked this several times.

Tom

I don't think the pH of the brewing liquor matters so much anyway. It's just one variable in a pack of variables. Know your salts, know your alkalinity, you're set.

pH meters are expensive and a pita. Salifert test kits are less than a tenner (for 100 tests) and maths is maths.

Yes, acid malt works, but unless you know how it works, you're stabbing in the dark.

Sorry for countering your post, Gerryjo, I've had enough homebrewed wheat beer to float a Foyle punt.