• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 02, 2024, 11:15:58 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Style of Beer for the MAY meet

Started by Blueshed, March 09, 2013, 12:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueshed

so is it a Pale ale or Wit beer were planning on for May.

think we should decide before the wend so folk can get started.

next week we can pick some beers for June - July - August.

Alex Lawes

I'd prefer a pale ale to be honest.
Wit beer I find is nicer for July or August drinking.

Blueshed

pale is good for me so thats

Alex        - Pale ale
Blueshed - Pale ale

Alex Lawes

Quoteso if you don't brew a beer that fits the 'style of the month', theres no point turning up? :-?

I think we're just trying to come up with a format where we can more easily judge quality and technique by categorising is all.
The idea at the last meet was to pick a style so that we're not really confusing the palate too much while we're going through the tastings. Jumping through styles and a range of off flavours was pretty distracting from picking out what could be fixed. Ismise brought up the idea and we thought we'd have a go. He was hoping for pointers on where to improve and didn't really come away with a-lot from it at the time. I'd say it would only take up 20 minutes of the night to do anyways. There'll be more than pale ales drank on the night I'd say.

delzep

Gonna brew a smoked lambic just to annoy yis now

Alex Lawes

IsMise

I think i'm sucking diesel... alhough i didnt read that in my feedback sheets.... I really like the Calendar idea Alex, never a dry throat in the house.
A "themed beer" sounds a great idea, especially if we take the time to taste flavours and match against the BJCP style guidelines, start looking at what additions/tweeking etc helps to make or enhance a good beer in particualr styles, as well as trouble-shooting when things go wrong. I'm up for that.
Also, timing of each tasting, including feedback, should help. Would be great to taste differences between kits, extracts, and AG.
On another note, I don't see the attraction of 2-year old monkeys butts... sorry Dempsey  :-*

imark

Pale Ale sounds grand. Plenty of time to get one together and even have a few commercial examples in the West County to compare against.
Will bring my notepad. Everybody bring their recipes and we'll do this somewhat scientifically. This could get very nerdy!