• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 12:03:24 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Anyone want a whiskey barrel?

Started by admin, April 11, 2013, 10:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcgrath

When do you need to get brewing? I told Nathan about this today. He has a large mashtun so one of us could do a batch too.

Dodge

Quote from: Tube on April 22, 2013, 04:07:24 PM
Revised recipe

5.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 57.47 %
1.40 kg Crystal Malt (160 EBC) Grain 16.09 %
0.90 kg Black (Patent) Malt (985.0 EBC) Grain 10.34 %
0.90 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC) Grain 10.34 %
0.50 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 5.75 %

Est Original Gravity: 1.087 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.48 % 

The Crystal is dark, so I don't think it'd matter if it wasn't spot on.

Hops, probably anything that bitters enough to give 40 IBU, as 6 months in an imperial stout in a whiskey cask probably won't leave much hop aroma!

Yeast, Notty or equivalent, as per the original.

Recipe looks good. Just to throw my 2 cents in. Doesn't the amount of crystal seem way to high at 1.4kg. Normally a lot of imperial stouts would have up to double of roasted malts like roasted barley with the crystal( where it adds the sweetness) at about 340g?

Since a lot of imperial stouts lack head retention, should there not be something like flaked barley, wheat etc to help especially after it sits in the barrel for 6 months or so?

Hops like the Fuggles or EKG in the recipe look good, or look at a very good bittering hop like Magnum?

I'm happy to go with whatever you all put together.  Just have to work on the date that all fermented batches are received

lordstilton

Gents I have about 12 kg of roasted barley and the same in munich if anyone is short of either.

lordstilton

I can drop a few kg around to you one of the nights im in work..let me know when suits..i'm doing sundays to tuesdays at the moment..I'm stuck for some maris if you can spare some

Dodge

Thanks Tube. 20 l batch better for me to allow others to join.

I normally put Flaked barley in my dry stouts. Wheat was just an example and wouldn't add it either. I'll put the recipe in Beer Smith to check out the parameters.

brenmurph

ill tale a bag of roast barley so we all have simalar ingredients  if it can be at B&C,

I have few pks Notty (gervin) 11 grams ( I easily get 2 full brews) at 2.50 each if we all want same yeast may be an idea.

Ill bring a little goody bag of swap shop items, t-balls, dana hops (Magnum cross slovenian), gervin yeast and a few other bis for sale fish tank heater ( new).

Tubs would it b worth asking lads & lassies in general take along unwanted small items and have a swap shop on these meets

lordstilton

April 23, 2013, 07:13:55 PM #21 Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:15:42 PM by lordstilton
Irish pale will do nicely Shane...I'll bring a few kg bags of roast barley to the 8th of may meetup if that suits everyone..if not I should be able to drop into the B+C next week at some stage

Ciderhead

CARA

Upa Sesh

Dodge

Just to let you all know. I'd be able to start brew on 2nd May. Fermentation should be finished in a week and a half 13 May.

I think it's very important to transfer to secondary before we meet up to fill Barrel which would be good if its the 18 May. Transfer to secondary would prevent too much turb  transferred into barrel.

Would the 18 May suit everyone to meet up or shall we say 25 May?

brenmurph

25th for me, I Think sooner wud b pushing it, I normally ferment primary and secondary. Wont this beer be at least 10 days fermenting? I will have mine in my secondary fermenter sealed 5 gallon drum so it will have a small yeast layer, if necessary I can siphon off under a blanket of c02 a second time and bring clear beer to the wooden barrell

Anyway Ill get it quicker that 25th if thats the general concensus.

I can ferment this sunday although  Ill have to pick up some ebc 500 malt unless anyone is bring some surplus to B&C saturday?

I have the rest of stuff I need  in stock.

Dodge

I'd prefer the 25th as a meet up with completed beers as an earliest

This would allow all to get ingredients, brew, ferment fully, transfer to secondary to allow clearing and finally meet up.

For all on the list as potential fillers, we need a response from all to allow everyone to have enough time. It's no good brewing for a non full barrel

Dodge

The Later the better! 

The only issue we still have is that we are to budget for 200L and we are only at 180L?

This may extend our collection day? Thoughts?

imark

Quote from: Dodge on April 26, 2013, 12:16:00 PM
The only issue we still have is that we are to budget for 200L and we are only at 180L?

If you guys are short I'll gladly make up the shortage.