• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:21:13 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Re-using yeast

Started by jackflash, August 06, 2015, 01:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackflash

I've got an American (lightly hopped) ale in the fermenter at the mo.

I used US-05 for it, which was washed and reused from an Irish Ale I'd brewed a few months back.

I'm transferring this to secondary today, and wondered could I use the yeast cake straight away in another batch of beer (Kolsch type) or do I need to "let it settle" and then create a starter?

irish_goat

You can reuse the yeast cake but I would usually just use a small portion of it e.g a large ladle's worth. You run the risk of overpitching if you use the entire yeast cake (unless you're brewing a higher ABV beer).

jackflash

ok cool, yeah I was thinking about a cupful or so. Do I need a starter? I'm guessing not.

irish_goat

No need for a starter as there'll be plenty of viable yeast cells in a cupful.  :)

jackflash

Excellent, thanks Irish Goat. I'm too impatient (and a cheapskate to boot) to buy a White Labs yeast and wait for the starter to kick off, hence using US-05 for a Kolsch style beer!

Leann ull

Following a kolsch type after Irish ale is gonna get you in trouble :(
How much is a packet of 05 ;)

jackflash

Ah its not really the cost, just have the yeast and would be a shame to let it go to waste. Gonna try it anyhow tomorrow as I have no other yeast. Sure feck it