• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:25:24 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

About Hoping time

Started by Covey, September 03, 2015, 11:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Covey

Well a few months ago (March i think) i got on to ebay and bought so hop seeds, the guys selling them said they were cascad variety, so i took a punt and after 2 months they still had'nt germinated so  my wife chucked them out side on the wall, so last week seed there was weeds and grassees growing out from the little sections so i had a quick look.....im still not sure but i think i can now see that 2 have germinated will little spouts, i will take a pic tomorrow. Ive moved them back inside as its getting colder now. Question is what so i need to do to make them flurish!
i wam wee todd did i am sofa king wee todd did

Beermonger

Cascade seeds? That's weird. Hop varieties can't be grown from seed! A seed will always give you a random hop plant (the things are pretty unpredictable even if you know the parents). Cascade, or any other variety, can only be grown vegetatively, like from rhizomes.

Not saying they're not hops now. They might be something interesting. But no idea what to do with hops that germinate at harvest time ;)
Planning: DIPA, Kweik PA, Calibration Pale Ale
Putrifying: nothing
Pouring: Lovely Saison, Czech Lager, 1804 Porter
Past: Cashmere PA

nigel_c

Could end up with a male plant that will not produce and cones. It's just a weed.

ronanp

One of those odd bits of thrivia but male plants where made illegal in irish law by CJ Haughey.

S.I. No. 189/1965:

NOXIOUS WEEDS (MALE WILD HOP PLANT) ORDER, 1965.

I, CHARLES J. HAUGHEY, Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries, in exercise of the powers conferred on me by section 2 of the Noxious Weeds Act, 1936 (No. 38 of 1936), and being satisfied as required by subsection (1) of that section, hereby order as follows:

1.—(1) This Order may be cited as the Noxious Weeds (Male Wild Hop Plant) Order, 1965.

(2) This Order shall come into operation on the 1st day of September, 1965.

2. The Interpretation Act, 1937 (No. 38 of 1937), applies to this Order.

3. The plant specified in Part I of the Schedule to this Order is hereby declared to be a noxious weed in the area specified in Part II of that Schedule.

GIVEN under my Official Seal, this 23rd day of August, 1965.

CHARLES J. HAUGHEY,

Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries.

SCHEDULE.

Part I

Male wild hop plant.

Part II

The area comprising the whole of the State.

This Order declares the male wild hop plant to be a noxious weed for the purposes of the Noxious Weeds Act, 1936 .

Tom

I got a handful of seeds from Meantime Brewing when they did their promo stunt thing. Almost all germinated! So, with the two you can see, expect a few more that you can't. Those that don't might well pop up in spring, so check again.

As for overwintering the shoots, they will die back a little, but if you've got them in pots you'll know where they are likely to be when they pop back up in spring. Treat as any other plant for the first year; change pot size as the plant grows. By spring 2017 you'll need the hop in the ground if you want it to do anything like crop.

As mentioned before, you'll not get a true Cascade, but you'll certainly get something!

Leann ull

Big trouble if you import rhizomes in your luggage from the U.S. Only allowed processed leaf of pellet

Sorcerers Apprentice

As you may know Hops are related to marihuana, in Spain you are allowed to cultivate up to two grass plants for personal consumption, my neighbour had two plants in pots in his garden. The variety was Queso or Cheese but my god did they smell like hops, our whole house smelled of hops, I like the smell of hops and having worked with them for so long I've probably lost some sensitivity to their smell, but the wife was not too happy with the smell.
So I reckon you might not get past the sniffer dogs in the airport smuggling hops in from the states
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Covey

Drum

Is that an Australian variety?  ;)

Tom

The one on the right is. My right. No, your right. No LEFT.

johnrm

The one on the middle looks like a hop plant.
Does out have tiny hairs on the stem? A little bud at the tip, just wants to go up and up?

Covey

Sorry about he Photo, I put a stick in the pot beside it yesterday morning and by last night it had wraped itself complete around, i think we have hopage. Let hope its  girl

Drum

Quote from: Covey on September 28, 2015, 09:13:35 PM
Sorry about he Photo, I put a stick in the pot beside it yesterday morning and by last night it had wraped itself complete around, i think we have hopage. Let hope its  girl

Yep that sounds like a hop alright, the cutting I got last june had 2 coils wrapped around the window handle the evening after I got it home.

Dont worry about it being male/female right now. If it's male it will probably be the start of the NHC hop breeding program as our first male in captivity. 

What will be hard this time of year is trying to get the plant to develop a stong enough rhizome to survive the winter especially outdoors.
I started writing a post about how to do it indoors but twas getting complicated and im tired. Will post more when i put i together properly

johnrm

Strange time of year to be propagating.
It should be fine indoors over the winter.
Keep it moist. Fertilise.
Come spring, stick it out.

Sorcerers Apprentice

I thought hops need vernalisation ie they need a cold season and then kick off when the soil heats up, if you are keeping them indoors over winter I reckon that they would need to be on an unheated room?
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others