• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 01:01:43 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Wood blocks for smoking.

Started by Eoin, September 04, 2015, 01:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eoin

I'll hopefully be getting a proper smoker/barbecue soon, can't wait.

Now I know I can get wood chips in B&Q and the like, but does anyone know where to get some larger wood pieces that are suitable for barbecue?

What native woods are good also and where would you source them?

Lordstilton, I'd be looking at you for a few tips in particular, because you do the type of stuff I'll be heading for.

Any help would be much appreciated.

lordstilton

You can pick up wood chunks from alot of good garden centers, the Orchard in Celbridge for one..i got a tip off for a cash n carry in tullamore with a good selection .. I'll be dropping out next week.. I'll let you know how I got on... I'm still going through the stock I brought back with me from the states... Three years ago!!

Jacob

The Hire Shop in Dunboyne.
10-12kg bag 5e.
Got some oak, beech and alder.

Eoin

Nice one lads.

I'm getting excited about brisket....

lordstilton

Brisket is a hard mistress.. Make sure you get your butcher to leave a 1/2 inch fat cap.. If you crutch it wrap it in greaseproof before you foil it.

Hop Bomb

These lads have kiln dried oak by the crate:  http://qualityfirewood.ie/crates/8-large-25m3-kiln-dried-oak-crate.html

Group buy?

Up until now Ive been using b&q lumpwood charcoal for heat. For smoke: m&s oak chips but thats all gone now, (it was 1.50e for 1kg I think, reduced for 8e), Ive some oak pieces Eanna gave me, enough of that left for maybe two more smokes, & Ive some wine barrel stave chunks, enough for maybe 4 smokes but would prefer to keep these for aging beer.

Id recommend the b&q lump charocal. Stock up! its on sale now & its really great quality.

Are you buying or building a smoker? 
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Eoin

I'm buying a smoker, there's one on offer somewhere, as soon as I have secured one I'll post it to the general NHC public, but I can't buy one for another few days, so I don't want to be the victim of publicising it too early.

Hop Bomb

Look into UDS cooking before you buy. Big Poppa Smokers have a UK site. http://bigpoppasmokers.co.uk/

Ive a source for food grade barrels.

6kg of charcoal is plenty for 12-14 cook at 275f  & it holds temp like a champ.

Leann ull

ronanp

Was looking the the big poppa kits a while ago. seems like an ok deal, money wise. When you compare the hassel of getting all the bits and pieces together to make one from scratch. At the moment I am just using a horizontial barrel type bbq for smoking an bbqing.

Hop Bomb

Just been in to ecofuel.ie in Galway (beside the DPD depot). Happy to report they do kiln dried oak. 6.80e for a 14kg net. 90e for 100kg crate.

Eoin

Topic split out and merged with the other smoker thread.

cruiscinlan

Anyone get other sources for wood? Wonder is it possible to get cherry, apple, alder etc.