• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:24:30 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Ingredient challenge

Started by imark, October 09, 2015, 12:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imark

I was thinking it might be interesting if we picked a specific ingredient (spice, fruit, etc) and went off to create a brew that incorporated the ingredient. We could bring our brews to a tasting a couple of months later and see what we all came up with. There would be no restrictions on style other than you make the beer/cider/wine of your choice and the ingredient is incorporated. It would just be a bit of fun but it would be interesting to see the different ways we would use the chosen ingredient. What do you guys think?

DamienE

Great idea

I'd like to try maple syrup in a brew - like in Anchor Bigleaf Autumn Red

lordstilton

Great minds Damien... I was thinking the same myself

lordstilton

After quick research turns out maple syrup just dries out beer with no flavour... How about cardamon?

nigel_c

If your looking for a maple finish add fenegreek. You get nothing from maple syrup.

imark

Great suggestions. There's a beer that's aged in a whiskey barrel that had maple syrup aged in it before hand. Can't remember the name right now. It's an imperial stout I think. I haven't had it but it's intriguing.
I was thinking about any citrus to start. You could use dried bitter orange peel or fresh rind. It's used across a very wide range of styles and is easy enough to start with because it's hard to overdo.

Let's get ideas out there and then we can choose one and set a meet to brew for. I think Christmas meet might be the first possible one.

lordstilton

Fenegreek ...never would of thought that would produce maple flavour....yet another spice to fire into the smithwicks beer!!!!

DamienE

Thanks guys. So it's just good for priming & doesn't really present in flavour.

Saved me a few batches of experimenting with maple syrup

lordstilton

so more research reveals that fenegreek just enhances the maple flavour in jaggery...on its own its not too pleasant.

Leann ull

Could you kill the yeast and add to keg or bottle?

imark

You probably could do that but you'd have a sweet beer. I'd imagine it's the phenols in the maple that you're looking for in the beer to give it the maple signature.   

imark

The fenugreek thing is interesting. I can kinda imagine how it could work but I wouldn't have made the connection without it being mentioned. It's definitely going on the list.
@nigel have you used it in a beer? I'm guessing it's very low dose.

Eoin

Fenugreek would stop you farting so much from the beer.

nigel_c

Yeah I used a few grams in a demi of stout a good while back. It does work. Something I've been meaning to revisit again.

imark

Quote from: Eoin on October 09, 2015, 10:02:30 PM
Fenugreek would stop you farting so much from the beer.
Wife will be delighted with that news coming into stout season