• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 18, 2024, 01:56:23 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Introduction - Is Mise

Started by IsMise, November 26, 2012, 08:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IsMise

Hi, Is Mise Kevin.
Started brewing from kits when John Bull Bitter was the only show in town, and you could get your home-brew stuff in places like Easons (while buying the monthly homebrew mags from England), and even in chemists; back when real beer was having a revival and Dempseys in Inchicore was leading the charge locally.  :'( I remember Cherries Brewery in Waterford, and even had some nice ale from Macardles clearing tanks in Dundalk.... :P tasty stuff back then. I even lived through Guinness Light, (yes, they said it couldn't be done... ::))
Back in the day I was happy to add a bag of sugar to a kit to pump up the alcohol, and even survived friend's attempts to brew stronger batches... :-[ As well as making lots and lots of wines from different recipes, I also moved on to Extracts (much better tasting), when we still weighed stuff in pounds and ounces, a time when aoul Mr. Brennan was only a twinkle in his Daddy's eye, and you could get a tram to Dun Laoighre for only one and thruppence... ahhh memories...
However, sporadic attempts at brewing after getting married over 30 years ago met with stiff opposition from  SWMBO. While I've always enjoyed all sorts of tasty beers, ;D it's only in recent times (with the revival of craft brewing), when my son has taken up homebrewing, and tasting the fantastic brews that can be made at home, along with access to all the advice, support, recipes, and tastings, that I've felt safe to get back in the water. Have only started kegging, thanks to the group buys, and building up the equipment to step up to AG in the Spring. Looking forward to going back to my youth!   ;)
And they even have homebrewing on t'interweb now!!!!
:o :o :o