• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 12:00:09 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Rob from Celbridge

Started by Robrew, January 07, 2013, 04:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robrew

Hey everyone so I started brewing last month :) with a coopers australian lager, its been bottle conditioning for 2 weeks now, I tasted it 2 days ago and its not great at all but oh well ya learn as ya go. I do have a coopers wheat beer in the fermenter now which i used 500g of light DME and 300g of dextrose so I have more hope for this one as I may have skunked my first one  ::). I hope ta work my way up to all grain way down the line and this website is full of info. So im looking forward to making some great beer.

Shane Phelan

Hi Rob

Welcome to the site and the addictive world of brewing.  :)

I wouldn't worry about the lager, it will get better over time. I find most of my beers taste best after around a month in the bottle. The coopers wheat beer is one of the best tasting kits from my experience of making it. Its a big crowd pleaser too, everyone that tasted it loved it so you can really look forward to that one.
Brew Log

Robrew

Haha yes I am definitely looking forward to the wheat beer I heard it was quite good ;D. I am a little skeptical tho of the lager as I was barely able to drink half of it before pouring it out  :o. but I will keep it there for as long as it takes to be drinkable.

Robrew

Ye I noticed the meet up for my area was there, I may pop in and meet everyone if possible and I could also bring a few bottles of my first batch however it is not very good but I would like to hear your opinions on what may have happened to it.

Ciderhead

QuoteHey everyone so I started brewing last month :) with a coopers australian lager, its been bottle conditioning for 2 weeks now, I tasted it 2 days ago and its not great at all but oh well ya learn as ya go. I do have a coopers wheat beer in the fermenter now which i used 500g of light DME and 300g of dextrose so I have more hope for this one as I may have skunked my first one  ::). I hope ta work my way up to all grain way down the line and this website is full of info. So im looking forward to making some great beer.

Welcome aboard,
Are you sitting down. Coopers lagers take min 3-4 months to properly condition and settle.
I learnt this from trying them and my yeach turned into thats just drinkable to oh I wish I had more of that after 5 months

Try Canadian Blonde.

and No its isn't fermented up to 27 like the bar stewards say on the can its an ale yeast and optimum is 18-22max
High temperatures = fast fermentation= potential off flavours

Sanitation is also key, Star san and a mister bottle will be your friend, Sanitise everything, the can opener, the top of the can, the yeast packet, the scissors you open the yeast packet with,, the bung the bubbler the inside lid of the bucket, the outside lid of the bucket, you want to have it sanitised better than the nuns used to when they ran the hospitals.
Craigtube taught me that and I have never had an infection.

Deadman are you reading this ;)

DEMPSEY

Welcome aboard Rob,we do meet in the Lucan County and its a relaxed affair. Come along and have a chat about brewing and such.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Robrew

thanks for the info ciderhead, ye I think I will come along, would anyone be interested in trying the lager I made tho? or should I leave it as it will only be 3 weeks old?  :D and is not exactly the champagne of brews.

Greg2013

I think ciderhead just called me a dirty minging bastard :o :'(
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

QuoteI think ciderhead just called me a dirty minging bastard :o :'(

That's not true I never said dirty :o

Weiss

Rob,

I'd leave the lager for a while, as has been said, it takes quite a while to condition properly after it has been bottled.

I did the Coopers lager kit myself at the start of last year and I didn't think it was great though I'm no fan of lager.

The Coopers wheat beer kit is very good though and should be great to drink after 4 weeks in the bottle (from my experience).

If you haven't seen this page already, some great ideas there. http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/introduction

See you Thursday.  :)
"The world is my lobster"-Keith O'Neill.

Robrew

January 12, 2013, 01:25:15 PM #10 Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 01:25:36 PM by Robrew
QuoteRob,

I'd leave the lager for a while, as has been said, it takes quite a while to condition properly after it has been bottled.

I did the Coopers lager kit myself at the start of last year and I didn't think it was great though I'm no fan of lager.

The Coopers wheat beer kit is very good though and should be great to drink after 4 weeks in the bottle (from my experience).

If you haven't seen this page already, some great ideas there. http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/introduction

See you Thursday.  :)

ye I like these recipes I just finished doing the Authentic IPA recipe from there and am planning on doing their Extra Best Stout next  ;D