• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 10:18:07 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Beer on the Internet

Started by biertourist, January 14, 2013, 10:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biertourist

Longtime reader, first time poster.

I think it's so cool that you have figured out how to make beer on the internet.

I have emailed Shane a picture of my extract can and my hops but I'm not sure what to do next; do I need to hookup my printer to actually make the beer???

Adam

Ciderhead

Tube email Adam a picture of you drinking beer made from his extract and hops.

biertourist

QuoteTube email Adam a picture of you drinking beer made from his extract and hops.

That doesn't make any sense; how would I get to drink it then?!  ::)

Adam

Ciderhead

Adam having a debate with myself it would appear earlier :), pros and cons or very early dry hopping, I mean from the outset in primary before fermentation or 3-4 days in?
Any thoughts either way.

biertourist

January 15, 2013, 12:10:29 AM #4 Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:11:30 AM by biertourist
Dang, I was hoping that I'd find some newbies that I didn't know here who I could bait with ridiculous questions...

A lot of your hop oils are going to bind to the surface of the yeast and be pulled out of solution when the yeast flocculate.  This is why dry hopping is generally done after primary fermentation has finishing and most of the yeast has flocculated.

The next items to weigh is whether to do a longer, say 7 - 10 day dry hop or do a shorter 3 day dry hop and whether to dry hop at cooler temps or warmer temps.
You'll extract more hop oils faster at warmer temps and a shorter dry hop period will result in pulling out less grassy vegetable flavor and haze; so a common practice is to wait until after primary fermentation has finished and the do a slightly elevated diacetyl rest - during the diacetyl rest do a single 3 day dry hop with the possibility of following it up with a second 3 day dry hop addition after removing the first dry hop addition for super hoppy beers.

-It also depends upon whether you like the flavors of your particular hop varieties when they're dry hopped or added super late. (At "flame-out" for home brew; whirlpool or hop back for modern micro systems.)

The beers that I like the most and the brewers that make the IPAs and Pale Ales that I like the most tend to make 2 3 day dry hop additions during the diacetyl rest (technically the second addition is probably after the diacetyl rest), but it's at the elevated temps, anyway.

Adam

Ciderhead

Cheers  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

biertourist

Does Ireland have any dry-hopped craft ciders yet?

-They're the new rage in the Pacific NW although I'm still yet to taste one.

Adam

Ciderhead

January 15, 2013, 12:27:36 AM #7 Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:29:14 AM by Ciderhead
Dry hopped cider are you on crack!
Garlic Bread, Bread with Garlic, that's the future that is :)
Although you have just given me an idea for the NHC competition now where did I put those Amarillo hops just don't tell Will  ;)

biertourist

QuoteDry hopped cider are you on crack!
Garlic Bread, Bread with Garlic, that's the future that is :)
Although you have just given me an idea for the NHC competition now where did I put those Amarillo hops just don't tell Will  ;)

I could go walk about 200 meters down the street and try one and come back here and tell you how it went... ; )

Yes, I'm spoiled now.

Adam